The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Rubik's Card (Dan Harlan) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
I was thinking about downloading this trick from penguin magic. I was just wondering if anyone has it and what they thought of the trick and the building process.

Here is the trick
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13417
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
I have this download, and I completely agree with the two currently posted reviews of this on Penguin. I, too, was underwhelmed by the main performance. It didn't fool me at all, unlike the original Tommy Wonder version. That's not to say Dan's version necessarily wouldn't fool a lay audience, but it just seems too obvious to me. (But I always have a hard time thinking like a layman, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.) I also appreciated the construction tips, which could be applied to other projects, and I particularly liked the alternate effect, which I personally found more fooling than the main performance.

The alternate effect is, in my opinion, stronger than the main effect, complements it nicely, the method is completely different, helps cancel out the methodology behind the main effect, and ends on a funny note. If there was no alternate effect, I definitely wouldn't bother making this.

The alternate effect is as follows: After the performance of the main effect, Dan dumps the blocks on the table and assembles on the table two standing sets of six "random blocks" arranged to form two 2x3 scrambled "mini cards." Two cards are selected by spectators, and Dan uses the empty wooden box like a hinged screen to briefly cover one of the 2x3 cluster of blocks. After a brief pause, he lifts the screen from the first 2x3 assemblage to reveal that the blocks have arranged themselves to match the first spectator's card. He does the same with the second set of 2x3 blocks, which also arrange themselves into a card, but it's a scrambled "four of everything" pip card with four different pips. The spectator's chosen card was the 4S but when he reveals his card, it's now a scrambled pip card with four different pips. It's an amusing ending. The download comes with all of the artwork, including the scrambled 4-pip artwork.

I don't know why Penguin doesn't mention the alternate handling, I imagine this would sell better if they did. I guess that's what reviews are for.

Hope this helps!

Ross
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
Thanks for the tips. If I give the construction directions to a carpenter friend of mine. Is it pretty to bulid?
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
It would be easy to make for most anyone who is handy, and a carpenter would absolutely have no problem. Dan uses already-made blocks, and shows how to modify an existing craft store wooden box to alternate dimensions.
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
Why the heck not. I may download this
Jonah_Illusionist
View Profile
New user
Saint George, Utah
26 Posts

Profile of Jonah_Illusionist
This is actually a really interesting idea. I may have to get this just to build it and mess around with it.