The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: List of packet sleights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

I want to learn as many packet sleights as I'm capable of. I'd be curious to hear what sleights people use, along with examples of interesting tricks they can be used in. Here's a start:

DL (top, center, top/bottom); Color Monte, Dr. Daley's Last

Elmsley, Jordan, Hamman Two-as-Four; the latter as frosting on the *All-The-Nonconformists* cake

Siva Count; trick??

Biddle Count; J. K. Hartman's "A Likely Story"

Other counts... There are hundreds, but list one or two along with nice tricks that use them. Some sources: Philip Goldstein's *Focus*, Racherbaumer's *Counthesaurus*, Mentzer's *Counts, Cuts, Moves, and Subtlety*. Others?

Veeser Concept; *Reset*-like transpositions

Bob
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Rumba Count
Mirror Count
Flustration Count
Glide

And this might help

https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php......e_Counts
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1229 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Bob,

my approach to magic has always been different ...

1. I see a trick I'd like to learn
2. Can I perform it using the "weapon arsenal" I've got?
3. If yes, I start practising it. If not, I start learning the sleights I am not able to do right now.

The idea of learning techniques just because "maybe they could be useful one day", seems to me a possible waste of time and effort.

My two cents, of course.

Mark
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1229 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2024, Bob G wrote:
Hi folks,

I want to learn as many packet sleights as I'm capable of.

Siva Count; trick??

Bob

With the SIVA count, I recommend "As You Were". You can find it in Roy Walton's "The Complete Roy Walton volume 2" on page 124.

Even if you never perform it for people, it's a fantastic trick to practise a genuine count, an Elmsley Count, a Jordan Count and a SIVA Count all in one place!

PM me if you wish to have more details.

Mark
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2858 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, ursmagicbalu and Mark.

Mark, you've encapsulated very well the approach that many people here suggest. Over the years, I've moved from learing sleights to learning tricks in the way you describe. Sometimes, though, I learn sleights because they're just cool! It's good to have a feeling for what tools are out there; that allows me to come up with aternative handlings occasionally. I'm about to PM you.

Bob