The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPS-alutely :: Undecided on using apps (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
aoakden
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of aoakden
Having a tough time jumping over to using Apps. Is it just me or do audiences see an "App Trick" and assume its all in the electronics and thus not that impressive.
Beny
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Beny
Having a tough time jumping over to using CARD MAGIC. Is it just me or do audiences see an "doub** l**t, a card !@#$ and a pa**" and assume its all in those obvious sleights and thus not that impressive because you didn't get real superpowers to vanish cards?

Think of that, because it's basically the same, and yet if it happens it's because your fault for picking the wrong app or for picking and perform poorly the wrong sleight

What's an "app" for you? because half of my related repertoire there's no phone in action or it's the spectator phone in front of him, you can perform many of those apps effects just with your watch or favorite p**k device without your phone involved, for the spectator you didn't do ANYTHING, at least if you execute whatever you are doing properly, obviously that includes picking the right effects instead of any **** with those ridiculous trailers that you find random reviews here from the creator friends saying that it's the effect from the century and stuff like that, same for card magic coins or whatever you do

The thing that all the "good ones" have in common is that they doesn't look phone related or if they do is that innocent and well justified that no one would point to those when guessing about the method behind, if there's something that doesn't look like this but like what you describe I would also avoid it.
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
I too have a hard time using apps. The problem I have is there are very little chance the app will be around for a long time. Maybe that is a good thing and maybe that is not. When you are having to pay $200..$400 or even $700 for an app, you expect there to be no add-ons to have to pay for latter or the app to no longer functions later down the road. I think that is my biggest issue is the real possiblility the app will no longer functions. Each new iOS or Android OS update, there runs the chance that the app will not be supported on the new updated OS. I have Stranger 4, Doodle, VOX, Cipher, and Total Control. I see Cipher and VOX having the best chance to last as they are based upon internal OS software oppose to developing a standalone app which requires routine updates. But the best app that I have is Doodle and only cost me $3 USD to purchase. I find the ability of Doodle as a tool oppose to a sophisticated app doing all the work is fabulous and simple to maintain over many years, but eventually it will be obsolete and will no longer functions with future updates of the OS should the developer not update it’s compatibility somewhere in the future. But it is only $3 and does more wonders than the others do.

Now that I am done rambling, what I’m saying is the apps can be useful but there is a potential that the apps will no longer work if the developer stops support of the app and requires to purchase a newer version or just does not work. Also, I suspect anyone that it can be suspect with the use of technology in certain applications.

With the exception of Doodle, I will not use any of the app based magic that I have acquired over the years. And will most likely not purchase another one.

Point being, my best APP that I use is Doodle and it was a simple app for $3. Oppose to stranger, VOX, Cipher, or Total Control………
aoakden
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of aoakden
Thank you for your replies. I understand where you are coming from Beny and I appreciate your input.

JDobbs, thank you. It seems we have the same concerns with price, longevity, etc.