The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: Allan Ackerman: All In, new book (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Nice to see Allan's material getting the Vanishing Inc treatment.

Their website lists the content for the two book set.
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......-all-in/

Allan Ackerman: All In:

Across the more than 400 pages of these beautiful hardcover books, you’ll find nearly 90 professional routines and over 50 additional sleights and moves. Everything has been updated and edited with help from one of magic’s premiere authors, John Lovick. All of the crucial nuances and subtleties have been included alongside full-color photographs to enhance the learning experience.

As a lifelong student of magic, Allan is a sleight-of-hand expert and a walking encyclopedia of card sleights, subtleties and even mathematical principles. Tapping into that wealth of knowledge, All In features a wide variety of amazing card tricks with optimized handlings that appeal to all types of magicians and skill levels.

Both books are broken up into sections: techniques and tricks. In the latter, you’ll find novel, polished routines like “The Prequel and The Sequel”, which lets you have all the fun of MacDonald’s Aces without any of the dreaded set-up, or “Ungaffed Ted”, a non-marked deck variation on Al Koran’s iconic double thought-of card routine. There are even dedicated sections on ACAAN style effects (many of which are easy to do) and Memorized Deck Magic (which includes the astonishing “Thirty-Minute Memorized Deck”).

Move-oriented magicians will likely jump right into the sleights and techniques section just like Allan intended. You’ll be eager to start learning the dynamic “HP (Hidden Packet) Maneuver” that allows you control, load and even force cards. The “Multiple Slip Shuffle”—a slip shuffle that can be executed with up to 10 or 20 cards—is another highlight; as is the Rhythm Count and its multiple variations that will have you considering retiring the Gemini Count for good.

Both linen-bound books come in a gorgeous slipcase that will command attention in any collection.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thanks Motown, I'm really looking forward to this.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Based on the T.O.C. there's a lot to sink your teeth in from this Pro.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ChristianM
View Profile
New user
Eaubonne - France
9 Posts

Profile of ChristianM
I saw that some of the moves are also teached in his Penguin Live.
But I hope that all the sleights and techniques in the book are very well explained as I read about his Penguin live :

"Unfortunately the explanations were one of the worst I've ever seen. Especially if it was about the moves. Allan didn't put much effort into really showing the moves SLOWLY or from different angles. So even with several replays it is hard to work some of them out."

and :

"teaching that was seriously rushed and frequently hard to follow".

I have several of the Allan Ackerman's DVDs of the series "Advanced card control", and I appreciate his talent and his ease with the sleights.
But I found his explanation are sometimes too fast or/and not explained from enough angles.

So, I'm going to wait for reviews of the book before buying it.

PS : What is the meaning of T.O.C? T.O.C or T.P.C?
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1364 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Table Of Contents where it lists the chapters in the book
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2024, ChristianM wrote:
But I hope that all the sleights and techniques in the book are very well explained as I read about his Penguin live :

"Unfortunately the explanations were one of the worst I've ever seen. Especially if it was about the moves. Allan didn't put much effort into really showing the moves SLOWLY or from different angles. So even with several replays it is hard to work some of them out."

and :

I have several of the Allan Ackerman's DVDs of the series "Advanced card control", and I appreciate his talent and his ease with the sleights.
But I found his explanation are sometimes too fast or/and not explained from enough angles.

Stick with books
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2024, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2024, ChristianM wrote:

and :

Stick with books

This is the truth. I have a couple Ackerman lectures, and think he's a legend. I love his material, but even having watched some of the explanations multiple times there is stuff I can't figure out or follow. It may not be his forte or whatever--no knock on Ackerman, he's a great guy and a magical maestro. But for my money this book will be crystal clear, and VI will make sure you understand all the teaching, and there will be adequate photos, etc. I haven't got this yet, but it's one I'll buy without reading a single review. I think you combine Ackerman and a VI book, you can't miss.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I've looked at the free preview VI sent out and tried to follow the "No-Palm Travelers" but got lost at the "... execute a slip shuffle of the two cards above the break, and shuffle off about ten cards into the left hand." !!!

I want to get the book, being a card magician, but I'm getting lost in the free preview. I'm assuming this two card slip shuffle technique is explained in more detail in the sleights section? I surely hope so ! There is a "myriad" of "slip shuffles" in the literature and the brief remark in the text doesn't give me a clue as to the move! If anyone has the book can they verify that this slip shuffle is taught ?

Hope this is the correct and best place and fastest way to inquire!

TIA
Phil
Linds
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
76 Posts

Profile of Linds
Hi Phil

Alan describes a multicard slip shuffle on p33 of volume 1. No-Palm travellers is on p 93 in the same volume.

Although I haven't reached the effect yet, I assume that he describedthat shuffle for application to routines elsewhere in the book.

Linds
Cheers
Linds

Disbelief in Magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
As someone who is loving the books so far, I will say I've had a few moments where I'm stopped in my tracks during an explanation; moments where I go "wait, what is it telling me to do exactly?"

In some cases, I stumbled my way into figuring it out by jumping ahead a bit and seeing what that section of the method is supposed to accomplish. Other times, reading it a few times over and really trying to break it down mentally was the way to go.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
ChristianM
View Profile
New user
Eaubonne - France
9 Posts

Profile of ChristianM
I read the free preview of All In, and I'm not going to order the book.
I admit that they tried to explain the moves in great details, but there are some points where I do not understand what I have to do.
I'm not a beginner and I read the explanations several times but sometimes, I cannot go further. So I'm afraid I don't understand all the contents of the book.
I have both books and videos. When you have to explain a routine or an easy move, both books and videos suit.
But for new and more complicated moves, I think a video (if it is explained step by step, with a good lightning, and from the audience and magician points of view) is the best way to learn a move. Especially for the dynamics, the timing and the rendering of the move.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I disagree wholeheartedly.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
For years magicians learned from books.
Don’t give up on them.
– Karl Germain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I think John Carney sums it up best in his introduction to Carneycopia
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
71 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I just received my 2 Ackerman books and have the weekend to start reading them.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Let’s know what you think.
– Karl Germain
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
200 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
I received the books. Some thoughts:

• The production value is great, as we expect from Vanishing.
  • Instructions are absolutely fine. They may not achieve a "Lorayne level" of clarity, but they are perfectly workable. If you are used to learning from text descriptions and are above a beginner level, you should find no issue.
  • Overall, the technical difficulty is not very high.
  • If you are unsure how something is supposed to look, try search Ackerman's YouTube channel, where he has already published many performances of the effects.
  • If you want to know if the content is any good, don't trust reviews, look at the YouTube channel. If you like what you see, you will like the book.
  • Personally, I feel that the material adds something meaningful and novel to the world of card magic. Unlike most books that have been released in recent years. But again, don't trust me, look at the effects yourself.

For example. take a look at this one:

Say what you will, but the construction is just beautiful. A great combination of (easy) sleight of hand and clever psychology.
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
For anyone that has purchased this book and also have Mr. Ackerman’s lecture notes are the effects in the book from his lecture notes updated or mostly reprinted?
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1138 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2024, imfletcher wrote:
For anyone that has purchased this book and also have Mr. Ackerman’s lecture notes are the effects in the book from his lecture notes updated or mostly reprinted?

You can check it here:

https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/book/3333
https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/book/3345

Mike