The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Participant Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
On various threads in past years I have brought up the presentation approach of have all or most of the spectators directly involve in some way.
They become Participants in the Effects or even the apparent cause of the magic. This approach is often attacked by stage-performing professionals
as being undoable or unnecessary or just weird. Perhaps, since they can't do this with their audiences, they do not want anyone to do it.

This is for small groups of mixed members, often with little experience with live performance magic. The Effects take practice, but also audience engagement skills,
I am not suggesting that any magician abandon what they are already successful at. These ideas are "other than" and not necessarily "better than."

While there have been few comments made on the Cafe' seeking more information on this approach, I have received many inquiries by eMail.
Many of my newly released eBooks on lybrary.com use this approach. The key is small groups and objects they can readily handle.

I can use input here to refine the descriptions of new eBooks and as seeds for the creation of new Routines.
I will be posting the outline of several Routines to illustrate how this can work. Expect powerful Effects presented in a fun way.
Readers here are encouraged to get the several FREE eBooks on lybrary.com for supporting ideas. Look for Ken Muller.

Those not wishing to post in public, or desiring information about specific Effects can still contact me Ken@eversway.com. That way I can attach any supporting material.

An example using two metal rings from a craft store, a long bootlace and small stone

LEAPING RINGS (a Leprechaun story line)

You have six people at a table and modify our story to get ALL objects into their hands during the Routine. Several Effects will occur in their hands. Call them Volunteer Assistants (VA)

1) display the rings tied on the cord. Have one VA untie the Bow and keep the Cord.
2) Display the chain of two rings at your fingertips and change hands so that all can see them close up.
3) Form a Portal with the rings, reach trough and extract a gold nugget. Have a VA protect it.
4) Have them (or another VA) tap one of the rings with the Charm and they become separated. Hand both out to VA's to add their personal magic energy.
5) Retrieve the Shoelace (Leprechauns are cobblers) and perform the popular ShoeLAce Knot Effect. A VA passes their ring over the knot and it vanishes.
6) The two separate rings are retrieved from the VA's. The are touched by the Charm by a VA and the rings become linked together again.
7) A VA fashions a loose knot in the Cord/Lace - a Portal to cleans the rings. You toss the rings though the Portal with VA's ready on the other side.
8) The rings are magically snagged by the knot and gold coins come though instead. The Lace and rings are immediately handed out.
9) The pair of linked rings, the Charm stone and the gold coins can all be gifted to the Participants.

Note: the Participants can be seated around the room and you perform completely surrounded. You can use a standard set of Linking Rings but may not want to gift them away
Does this seem impossible? It is with large rings and on stage. It is the close proximity and involvement of he Participants that provides the physical and psychological masking for the sleights involved.

How can you'all help? I will be publishing this in a couple of months. There is still time to add or modify the Effects.
The visual links in their hands and the immediate "proof" of handing them out will be different from what they may have experienced before.
There is a risk of violate the "probable- impossible" principle. Should there be other "weak" effects mixed in for a Release of Tension?

Sequential Video instructions will be in the eBooks to learn the various Performances Modules. For now, just imagine being one of the VAs' getting the rings into your hands.
All of these Module have been performed many times, It is the combinations and audience Participation that is unique. (plus presentation skills, of course)

Thanks for the help.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you believe audience participation in code up magic is new? Do you believe involving people as much as possible in a tactile way somehow revolutionary to magic?

If these things have been done so many times why do you ask to help modify them?

It really is an odd way to do things.

Nothing said here was an attack at all. Just curious is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
My wife is Irish and her father was a professional shoemaker. The Leprechaun was not a professional shoemaker but a cobbler, that is to say, a fellow who runs around and mends his own shoes.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/19486/19......ml#toc67

One could shoehorn some of that, old cobblers, into the patter.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
One might play the role of somebody who captured a Leprechaun when he was mending his shoes and he granted you three wishes in exchange for his freedom and that would account for your magical powers perhaps. I do not think there is anything about that but it is just a thought.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Good thoughts Tommy. I mention "cobbler" as a reason for the shoelace cord, but am not using the "caught while mending" in the storyline. Thanks.
In one Routine, I suggest the two gold rings are Leprechaun hat bands,
I am considering adding a Leprechaun based storyline to several ring effects as an alternative - so might use that idea.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com