The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Jordan’s Long Distance Mind Reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MillerTime
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MillerTime
In Charles Jordan’s Best Card Tricks by Fulves, Long Dostance Mind Reading is a part of the chapter on Shuffle Systems. I love it and have started using it via text. Instead of sending half the deck back the just spread face up and text me. A couple minutes later I send the reveal. Question is the book states that on occasion if the selection is from the end of a chain you will only know the selection is the highest or lowest in a suite/chain set. With a full deck how often will that happen? Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Peace and Mystery
AlxRosekoski
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of AlxRosekoski
I’m sorry that I’m not responding to your question, but this trick intrigues me and I am considering buying the book after reading the description on it. Would you recommend it?
Thanks for the feedback

With regards
AlxRosekoski
samantha17
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of samantha17
Bayer and Diaconis say 84% with 3 shuffles in their paper "Trailing the Dovetail Shuffle to its Lair." Ann. Appl. Probab. 2 (2) 294 - 313, May, 1992. They also discuss probabilities for more shuffles and / or more guesses (e.g., 1 guess, 2 shuffles is 99.7%, 2 guesses is 94% with 3 shuffles). I vaguely recall discussion elsewhere in this forum that you can improve the probability based on when in the process you have the card chosen.

In practice, I prefer the 2 shuffle, half-deck version because it is faster to do.