The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: LF help identifying the manufacturer and age of this sword through arm trick (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DreadPirateRoberts
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City, UT
7 Posts

Profile of DreadPirateRoberts
I have this version of the "Sword Through Arm" effect and I can't remember who made it or when it was made. I believe I purchased it in the late 70's or early 80's at Berg's Magic on Hollywood Boulevard.

The cabinet has three levels. The top and bottom levels are open/exposed for you to pass a long tubular balloon through each one. You then pass your arm through the middle section. When you push the sword down from the top, both balloons pop and your arm seems impaled. Then you pull the sword out to reveal you are unharmed. The cabinet is approximately 13" tall by 10.5" wide.

More photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/t9tSYWwngxsqhDhL7

Any info would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Click here to view attached image.
--
"Once word leaks out that a pirate has gone soft, people begin to disobey you, and then it's nothing by work, work, work all the time"
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I believe that Joe Berg manufactured many of the items he sold , or he employed someone else to manufacture these original items for him ... (for example, when he was in Chicago he employed the famed Okito/Theo Bamberg to make apparatus). So the piece may have originated with Joe Berg's shop and not been for sale from other dealers (?). I'm not sure if Joe Berg actually made any apparatus himself or if he always employed others to make it for him.
Sorry, that's not much help , but I thought I would get the ball rolling. If you're on Facebook try posting it on the Magic Collectors Corner group. If you don't do Facebook, with your permission I'll post your photo of the prop and see if anyone on that group has any insight.
AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
It looks very much like the one put out by Supreme Magic of Bideford, Devon - probably during the 70s and 80s.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jan 5, 2024, AllanK wrote:
It looks very much like the one put out by Supreme Magic of Bideford, Devon - probably during the 70s and 80s.

It does have that "Supreme look". I think you may be correct about that.
AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
David Nixon performed this on Rolf Harris in one of his TV shows. I'm pretty sure it's on one of the David Nixon DVDs that were released by Network a couple of years ago - they are excellent DVDs!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
The prop has the same paint style as Supreme's 'Cabinet of Canton' and other apparatus they made.

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Here it is. Supreme Magic's 'Torture Rack' (I also found it named as 'Torture Cabinet').

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/m......78020940

AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Yes, I have the Cabinet of Canton, but not the Torture Rack. I think the gold stencilling was common with Supreme props from the late seventies and eighties. I also think Abbott's sold those props too - the two companies had some sort of arrangement where they each manufactured the same props.
DreadPirateRoberts
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City, UT
7 Posts

Profile of DreadPirateRoberts
Thanks very much Allan and David. Much appreciated (and I'm really impressed)! Happy New Year to you both.
Jonathan
--
"Once word leaks out that a pirate has gone soft, people begin to disobey you, and then it's nothing by work, work, work all the time"