The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: Bucket List - Card Craft (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
So after 20 years I finally got my copy of Card Craft by J.K Hartman, thanks to the recent republish by Richard Kaufman. Sure I could have picked up a copy years ago, but no way was I going to spend $400 on a copy. Now I will spend the next few weeks digesting the book. I have some other books of Mr. Hartman’s like Card Dupery or Card Dogery but the way everyone talked about Card Craft you thought it was the holy grail of card books. I hold books like the Card Magic of Nick Trost and Dear Mr. Fantasy in high regard and I’m hoping the same of Card Craft.

Wish me luck and I hope to report back in a few weeks.
Shawn Evans
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Shawn Evans
Enjoy! It is a great book. It will definitely take a bit to digest.

For anyone who knows, is the reprint exactly like the original?
I took the Pledge

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Overated.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Jim Sisti gave this book a bad review back when he was writing and publishing his Magic Menu journal. The March/April 1992 issue:

Just what you needed...a 670-page book of new card tricks. Yes you too can be the death of the party! And, unfortunately, Kaufman and Greenberg have chosen to release another book with their now-famous "text book look."

The advertising copy refers to it as "a required addition to every magic library." Actually, in my case, it has come in quite handy...it helps to hold up the other books on my shelf that I actually find useful.

I'm afraid this one is for hobbyists, and card masochists only. Card Craft is (gulp!) $55.00 and available from most magic dealers.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
I remain on the fence on the reprint but I'm interested to see what new buyers think.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Bought the reprint and am really enjoying it.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
I'm glad you are enjoying it. When I had a copy I was unable to find anything interesting or useful. Many of my friends had the same luck and bad opinion. Do, please, let us know here what it is that you find. I'm happy to be proven wrong.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I agree....it's good but totally overrated.
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Some of us enjoy Hartman's work and had no expectations that owning "Card Craft" would encompass some king of "OMG life changing event!"

It's better than many books on my shelf and not as good as some. But (not even halfway through reading the book)I've already found much to enjoy and a few things I'll use.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
854 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
CC was Aldo Colombini’s favorite book
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2024, Leo H wrote:
Jim Sisti gave this book a bad review back when he was writing and publishing his Magic Menu journal. The March/April 1992 issue:

Just what you needed...a 670-page book of new card tricks. Yes you too can be the death of the party! And, unfortunately, Kaufman and Greenberg have chosen to release another book with their now-famous "text book look."

The advertising copy refers to it as "a required addition to every magic library." Actually, in my case, it has come in quite handy...it helps to hold up the other books on my shelf that I actually find useful.

I'm afraid this one is for hobbyists, and card masochists only. Card Craft is (gulp!) $55.00 and available from most magic dealers.
I bought this book when it came out and have had no regrets. I never saw Sisto's review, but I would never judge anything on a single persons opinion. I've seen plenty of films and listened to many albums, that I really enjoyed, that got ho-hum reviews. Interesting Sisti would criticize the book for having all card tricks, since so many of the magic books published are made up of card tricks and continue to be.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I also got a copy and AM enjoying it, but also agree it is over rated. It’s not Card College….nthing will ever come remotely close because Giobbi is a genius. A real one.

That said, I like the book, and am glad I bought it. Hartman has some really good tricks….you just have wade through and find them.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2024, kShepher wrote:
I also got a copy and AM enjoying it, but also agree it is over rated. It’s not Card College….nthing will ever come remotely close because Giobbi is a genius. A real one.

That said, I like the book, and am glad I bought it. Hartman has some really good tricks….you just have wade through and find them.
I like Card College as well, but those two books are so different from each other in purpose.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Good point. Thanks.
crandall
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of crandall
So far no word on the missing page from Card Craft

Someone said that there was a mention on Facebook,
there has been no mention on Facebook

Kaufman and Company is the publisher

Vanishing is not the publisher, someone said something about vanishing inc., replying with
something about a possible pdf. Long after it was brought to their attention but the truth is;

Vanishing is not the publisher so, Vanishing has no official comment just a
speculation on what might, maybe, possibly could occur sometime in the future, maybe.

There are no mentions of the problem or a possible fix from Kaufman and Company at this time,
not on social media and not on the Kaufman and Company site

The first thing I did when I saw the page missing was to contact Kaufman and Company
By Phone (his actual number) and By email
I have heard nothing.

If you think this is no big deal, Good On You.

I happen to think that if you are not happy about buying a much anticipated re-print book that is incomplete
then you are probably correct and anyone who states different is probably not really reading magic books
and probably not really a working magician but someone who just likes to annoy everyone.

All Hope Abandon Ye Who Enter Here!
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2024, crandall wrote:
So far no word on the missing page from Card Craft

I asked Richard Kaufman directly (at the official Genii forums) and got a prompt answer.

It's all here at this link.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2024, crandall wrote:
I received the book and there is a pretty big problem, PAGE 377 is MISSING!
Instead of the page 377, there is page 577 and 577, later in the book, is an exact duplicate of the supposed page 377.
It is for the effect entitled "FIXIT MIXER".

Does anyone have the original book?
Is the original pressing of this book the same way?

So my question is the following: how does this situation get rectified?
Tipped in Page with apologies?
A scan of page 377 emailed to you?
Nothing?

If the book is re-set and reprinted (ha ha ha I doubt that) then do the people
who purchased the book with the missing pages get anything or is it just that we have an incomplete book?
If anyone can PM me that may possibly know the effect
or has the proper pages in their book, I would really like to know how the effect is supposed to be worked out.
Thanks in advance!

I have to wonder how much this flaw hurts the value of the book.

Considering the price, I would hope any magic dealers selling it, would clearly state the book was misprinted and that a page is missing.
– Karl Germain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Is there something wrong with protecting an investment?
Should I stop rust proofing my truck?
Should I not put a cover on my boat?
Chris Aguilar
View Profile
Special user
540 Posts

Profile of Chris Aguilar