The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: "Three moves" line in David Blaine interview (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
David Blaine was on the Joe Rogan Podcast recently. As always they had a wide ranging and off the beaten track conversation. At one point Blaine said one of the differences between magicians and card cheats is that magicians will work a lot of different moves while the card shark works just a few moves practiced to the point they are flawless. He focused in and said it's "really three moves" they use.

Was that hyperbole or fact? "...it's just three moves" could be a turn of phrase or he could be making a real point. I'm not really a card magician, I actually avoid card tricks because I'm more into mentalism and card tricks don't fit the persona for me. I don't gamble either (maybe a lotto ticket here and there) so I'm not asking for the keys to the castle here. What I am asking is if that's a realistic take on that line of work.
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Blaine's statement is accurate ... his estimate may even be a bit high in some cases.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
False shuffles, cuts and deals are the three things that spring to mind.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I knew a guy with one move to get the money. AND he used it sparingly to say the least! He perfected it and did it as few times as possible, at the EXACT time he needed to do it to maximize payoff.

I have no idea if this is a universal truth or just an anecdote.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
I knew a guy with one move to get the money. AND he used it sparingly to say the least! He perfected it and did it as few times as possible, at the EXACT time he needed to do it to maximize payoff.

I have no idea if this is a universal truth or just an anecdote.

It sounds about right.... Usually, the best will be a master of one move that they will be their go to, and rely on other subtleties to get to that move... I know of a dealer that stole one green chip a day for a good 20 yrs. and he left the industry eventually to open a small business with his wife... Also, it was at the dice table and not thee card table... Smile
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The thought was to keep in the game losing as little as possible until he moved for the money. As you said some subtleties but certainly not constantly making moves.

It would actually make a very boring movie. Then again so would most advantage play.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell