The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Dragonscale by Penguin Magic (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ChristianM
View Profile
New user
Eaubonne - France
9 Posts

Profile of ChristianM
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2024, LankyHobo wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2024, ChadRees wrote:
I'm curiose why you would want to to buy this over just learning a memdeck. From what I saw in the trailer, you could perform all the same effects with a memdeck.

True for some effects. But a mem deck doesn't let you have 4 different spectators each cutting the deck, noting the card, and replacing the cards and then you can know each of their selections and more all while your back is turned.

Yes, you cannot do this specific effect with a memdeck, but I know a memdeck and there are so many interesting effets you can do with a memdeck, that I will not spend $ 400 just for other effects with cards.
Stefan_Wonder
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Stefan_Wonder
[quote]On Mar 2, 2024, videoman wrote:
Quote:
(...)
I’m puzzled as to why it seems all the magic scales seem to be advertised and revolve around utilizing a deck of cards?

I mean seriously, if you created one of these before anyone else had would the first use that came to your mind be “this is so cool, I can now have a spectator cut the deck and be able to know exactly how many cards had been cut!”

This! So many interesting things you can do with these scale, but I'm not sure if cards is one of them.
That's also way I don't really like them being inside card boxes.
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2024, ChristianM wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2024, LankyHobo wrote:

True for some effects. But a mem deck doesn't let you have 4 different spectators each cutting the deck, noting the card, and replacing the cards and then you can know each of their selections and more all while your back is turned.

Yes, you cannot do this specific effect with a memdeck, but I know a memdeck and there are so many interesting effets you can do with a memdeck, that I will not spend $ 400 just for other effects with cards.

I didn't say memdeck aren't great. They are. I was simply responding to the statement that a memdeck could achieve everything seen in the trailer. Maybe Chad saw a shorter trailer. The one I saw was over 6 minutes long. In fact about 2 and a half minutes in you see a portion of Nick Locapo's act and everything in that could not be done with a memdeck because he never sees the deck (except one point for a millisecond) and is away from it most of the time.

But memdecks are great. I'm trying to learn one right now. My memory is crap though!

I don't have Dragonscale and I probably won't get it, because I have to eat. But it's definitely very cool, and separate to card effects offers a lot of interesting routines with objects. As do the other scales, but IDragonscale and I think Pittata's scale offer different weight calibrations. More possibilities.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1713 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
[quote]On Mar 22, 2024, Stefan_Wonder wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2024, videoman wrote:
Quote:
(...)
I’m puzzled as to why it seems all the magic scales seem to be advertised and revolve around utilizing a deck of cards?

I mean seriously, if you created one of these before anyone else had would the first use that came to your mind be “this is so cool, I can now have a spectator cut the deck and be able to know exactly how many cards had been cut!”

This! So many interesting things you can do with these scale, but I'm not sure if cards is one of them.
That's also way I don't really like them being inside card boxes.

I come to disagree and try to explain myself without helping search engines and exposure.
Let me start by saying that cards are a wonderful companion for these tools.
Simply because they (the object cards) can’t get easily connected with this kind of technology.
Sure you can use a Memdeck to achieve similar technics but never the same results.
Being totally hands off is a huge advantage I highly appreciate.
I use it to have a card selected in the cleanest way imaginable.
Why you would give away how many cards someone is holding or how many are left in the deck.
Why would you put those devices inside a plastic bowl - that is common in most kitchens - and even use routines where the method can get backtracked?
So it is absolutely wise to have a logical disconnect. Use uncommon and strange objects and target for uncommon goals.
If you are creative you get great results with these devices.
It should be a helper and not the main part of a routine in my opinion.
pilgrim
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of pilgrim
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2023, Mercury52 wrote:
I don't have DragonScale, nor have I watched the tutorial, but I can reply regarding the weights of specific cards, because that's an area where I've done some experimentation.

Being able to weigh each individual card to detect suit & value from a shuffled deck would be a near-impossible task. Especially for a device that's meant to be portable and go out into the real world. IE, you could not weigh each card individually at home to program the scale & app, and then expect consistent results when you're out performing somewhere. The calibration levels required to maintain accuracy at such minute weights will be HEAVILY affected by a lot of environmental factors. Even a slight breeze could give an inaccurate reading.

In my testing, on average, a King weighs about seven THOUSANDTHS of a gram more than an Ace. However, there would be no discernable difference between say the King of Clubs and the King of Spades.

Cards pick up dirt, grime, oils from our hands, moisture from the air, etc. More than enough factors to make distinguishing one specific card from another pretty much impossible at a practical level.

I'd say that there might be a slight possibility of a scale being able to detect a High vs a Low card, but that's about it. Being able to distinguish between the 12 court cards, for example, would be a no-go for anything outside of a laboratory.
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
758 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
I wonder if there are any plans to release a bowl accessory that you can hide the Dragon Scale in at some point.
JustJohn
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of JustJohn
I was one of the earlier reviews and now that my initial issues have been addressed, thought to weigh in again with my impressions. And also answer some of the questions I've seen.

It's my understanding it works with Peeksmith, but I don't have that. I read the info off my Android watch, and read is pretty good. With multiple cuts of the deck you'll have a handle of how many of each suit are in each packet, as well as the number of face cards. It works great with Bike Elites. I had no trouble tailoring an Elite box to fit the scale.

There's so much that can be done with the scale that can't be done with a memdeck alone. But it's best to have a stack in mind (or a crib).

I've used mine with coins as well. There are, of course, a limited number of things you'll want to put on top of a card box. I sure wish they'd come out with something else to put atop the scale. Also VERY important to note: Dragonscale should NOT be used atop of a card mat. It needs a solid surface.
joshjmill
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia
10 Posts

Profile of joshjmill
I picked up Dragon Scale through a trade of another effect I had a duplicate of and didn't need a backup for anymore. This is seriously a cool piece of tech! As others have previously mentioned in the forum, I see the applications of this going a lot further than just the memdeck work that it seems tailored to out of the box. I've been able to weigh coins of the denomination, just different dates, and have been playing with the idea of a psychometry routine or prediction effect where I can tell audience members which person picked up what date of coin...I just haven't figured out a satisfying way to present the premise yet. I think a future bowl or add-on to hide the unit in a way other than a card box would be great. I'm thinking about trying to measure out my unit and print or build up a tray or larger platform that can sit over top.
David Burke
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
676 Posts

Profile of David Burke
How does this compare to SoulMate, they're close to the same price. Maybe the difference is in the App?

Dr. David Burke - Psychic Illusionist
David Burke
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
676 Posts

Profile of David Burke
Quote:
On May 8, 2024, David Burke wrote:
How does this compare to SoulMate, they're close to the same price. Maybe the difference is in the App?

Sorry, forgot to include the link:
https://electricks.info/product/soulmate-smart-scale/
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2597 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Is SoulMate a knockoff of Soul?

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S36197
LankyHobo
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Quote:
On May 9, 2024, Magic KL wrote:
Is SoulMate a knockoff of Soul?

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S36197

No, it's a collaboration with Wenzi. An upgraded version with Bluetooth connectivity which it didn't have allowing for firmware updates, and it works with Benke's ScaleSmith app and Peeksmith 3.

dc5x5
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of dc5x5
Can a Dragonscale or other scale user tell me if a jar of coins with mixed denominations be "read" by the differing weights to total the coin value in dollars and cents either left remaining in a jar or total coins removed? Obviously, the jar (or bowl) has to be accounted for and Dragonscale is just a card box cover, so maybe another scale. Does this effect exist?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3038 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On May 25, 2024, dc5x5 wrote:
Can a Dragonscale or other scale user tell me if a jar of coins with mixed denominations be "read" by the differing weights to total the coin value in dollars and cents either left remaining in a jar or total coins removed? Obviously, the jar (or bowl) has to be accounted for and Dragonscale is just a card box cover, so maybe another scale. Does this effect exist?

I use the Pitata scale with pennies - I don't believe this could be done because the scale wouldn't know if two pennies had been removed or one quarter - it would just know the weight had changed. (For the record I'm not saying a quarter weighs the same as two pennies; just using that as an example.)

I'd be thrilled for someone to tell me I'm wrong because it sounds like a very cool effect, but in terms of using objects with different weights, I believe you can only work with one of each, as in the effect where you can tell which of several items a spectator has picked up from the table.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings