The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical equations :: Magic Square Question (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
130 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
Hi Guys,

I used to do a version of Magic Squares where the participant would select a number between 34 and 99. I would quickly arrive at four squares by four squares were almost everything added up to their number. I stopped doing it for many years and have forgotten the order of numbers to start with on each row. I do remember subtracting 34 from their number, divide that by four and add that to all numbers and the integer, number left over, with just four squares. Can anyone tell me the sequence of numbers on each row to start with and which numbers get the integer as well?

Row #1 - ?,?,?,?
Row #2 - ?,?,?,?
Row #3 - ?,?,?,?
Row #4 - ?,?,?,?

What numbers get the integer?

I was able to find a version online that I can perform, however, in this version you have numbers between one and 12 in squares and four squares have, or can have, rather large numbers in them. Only four squares get modified. The version I am looking for ends up with numbers that are much closer together in all squares, not say 8 in one square and 79 in another.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Much more streamlined ways have been developed to perform this effect.

My own Calculated Thoughts has an entire section devoted to various versions of this.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
130 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2023, ddyment wrote:
Much more streamlined ways have been developed to perform this effect.

My own Calculated Thoughts has an entire section devoted to various versions of this.

Thank you. As you can see, I am looking for the method I described above. Just need the layout for the Rows, etc.. I have a way to do it now super fast but I don’t like having small numbers in 12 of the 16 squares and four squares with rather large numbers.

Would be much appreciated. If you would share the Row numbers for the method I mentioned above.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
I describe the method you seek in my book Melencolia, Part II - Jupiter. The method creates an MS for all even and odd sums with consecutive or almost consecutive numbers.

J. Solberg also describes such methods in his book Improved Magic Square Methods and Tricks. I especially recommend the latter book if you are serious about studying MS.

Perhaps the following layout for the sum 34 will help you.
01 14 15 04
08 11 10 05
12 07 06 09
13 02 03 16

BTW, a square having small numbers in 12 of the 16 squares and four squares with rather large numbers is named Instant Magic Square.
Jimso
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Jimso
You are referencing the old method that has been around for almost a century. There are many solutions for the memorized base. Here is just one.

9 6 3 16
4 15 10 5
14 1 8 11
7 12 13 2

The four 'key' numbers that are adjusted to match the sum are always the four highest. If you use the simple 'instant' version, in which only those four numbers change (the others remaining fixed), you will often show a revealing discrepancy. That is, the four key numbers will stand out in a way that exposes the method. The slightly better version, which is just as old, adjusts all of the values to reduce the discrepancy to at most 3.

For example, the chosen sum of 45 would yield the following.

11 8 5 21
6 20 12 7
19 3 10 13
9 14 18 4

The result from using this method will be a magic square with every row, column, and diagonal matching the chosen sum. In addition, the four outer corners, the four central numbers, the 2x2 subsquares in the center and each corner, and a few other patterns will also match, for a total of 24.

This method has been used with good responses by professionals for decades. Harry Lorayne, Harry Anderson, Richard Osterlind, and John Archer are just a few who made it a showpiece. However, anyone with a smart phone can look up 'magic square' on the internet and discover that old method.

There are modern methods that are easier, more deceptive (the discrepancy is at most 1), and more impressive (at least 36 matching patterns, and sometimes as many as 52). Furthermore, you can start with either the highest or lowest number in any chosen cell.

Here is an example for a chosen sum of 45 and 36 successful patterns.

3 15 10 17
18 9 12 6
13 5 19 8
11 16 4 14

You can use the old method in informal situations if you don't mind memorizing the base square and doing some mental math in real time. However, if you are going to present such a trick to a large audience, I strongly suggest that you learn one of the several newer methods. Hans-Christian Solka has one in his e-book at lybrary.com, Doug Dyment has one in his book, and I have several in my four hardback books at Stevens Magic Emporium. Any of the newer methods are a big improvement on the old one. You can find more information in earlier post on this forum.

I hope this helps.
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
130 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
HCS and Jimeo!

Thank you so much gentlemen! Thank you for your most thoughtful replies, and insights into this most intriguing affect. I really appreciate the detailed information and history. You are very kind. You addressed the issue of my concern perfectly when four squares are much higher than the rest. It gives away or gives a hint of method.

I do cards, but have floating bill, fork bending and magic Square as my oddities.
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
130 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
Jimso, yours works perfectly. This is the one I used to do. Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! Will be getting Solka's as well. Thanks again!

Btw, I never use the term Magic Square. I'll call the effect anything but that, like "TOTAL Bizarre".
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Card Mechanic ... I too do not use the term Magic Square ... I prefer Angel Number

I introduce the choice of number by asking the spectator to create their 2-digit Angel Number.
Using a calculator, they multiply their date of birth (date x month x year), and add the digits together.

Using this 2-digit number I create the Angel Number square pattern.
I tried upload an image of the Angel Number square, with no success ...
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Angel Number square pattern ...
it's nice to just carry around in my mobile phone wallet.

WulfieSmith

Click here to view attached image.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2024, wulfiesmith wrote:
Card Mechanic ... I too do not use the term Magic Square ... I prefer Angel Number

I introduce the choice of number by asking the spectator to create their 2-digit Angel Number.
Using a calculator, they multiply their date of birth (date x month x year), and add the digits together.

Using this 2-digit number I create the Angel Number square pattern.
I tried upload an image of the Angel Number square, with no success ...
How do you do that? I get for Dec 12, 1960, the number 282.240. The sum of the individual digits is 18.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
"hcs" ...
PM sent