The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: The Red Book by Carl Jung (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Does anyone here use any of the methods that Carl Jung used in his practice, such as AUTOMATIC WRITING or ASTROLOGY? While reading the preface to the Red Book I was amazed by his use of these things. Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Am I alone on this? No one uses his insights in their performances? Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1745 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
I just tried to send you this as a DM, but you've apparently run out of space in your inbox.

It's disappointing, but not really surprising, that no one has commented on your Red Book post. I'm fairly familiar with Jung's work but I don't think I've ever cited him in performance or my magic writing. I could, though, see the possibility of building Synchronicity into a presentation. If you haven't already read it, his book with that title includes a lot on astrology. You might also like to read his Foreword to Wilhelm's I Ching, which has more on Synchronicity (you'll find it online).

I don't remember reading anything by him on automatic writing. There are magical presentations for that - there's one in Dee Christopher's book Deep Shadows, for example - and a Ouija Board is an extension of the principle.

I've also read Memories, Dreams, Reflections, which I can recommend, and I've tried to read Man and his Symbols, but I could never get more than halfway through the first chapter.

By the way, I graduated in psychology just over 50 years ago. We had several lectures on Freud, but Jung was dismissed in one sentence as a "mystic".
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
L@@KS like were were both studying the same subjects 50 years ago!!!! Is that Synchronicity? Several years ago I was performing remotely on a radio show/podcast. There were two hosts. One asked me how I described myself when the other popped in and she said 'Well he's obviously a Mystic"... I loved it!!!! Smile Smile Smile
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1458 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hi Gents,

Here's a great resource I came across back in 1971 on the remainder/clearance table of the local bookstore. I just checked on Amazon and see it's still available second-hand:

Louis MacNeice, Astrology, (London: Aldus House, 1964.)

In particular, see pages 220-223 on Jung. Out of the thousands of books I've read over some sixty years now, it presents the clearest and most sensible explanation of Jung and synchronicity. It actually provided the inspiration for several Zener routines of mine which appeared in The Linking Ring some years back.

Also the book is a wealth of great artwork which can be scanned or Xeroxed to make very mystical props.

And there many excellent script/theme ideas within.

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1745 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Hi Thomas

I have that book, although it's many years since I looked at it. I bought it in a clearance sale in the mid-sixties and used it to cast my first horoscope, although he doesn't really go into much detail on interpretation. I'd forgotten about the Jung reference; I've just looked it up and it is a useful analysis. What I didn't realise at the time was that MacNeice was best-known as a poet.

My favourite book on synchronicity, though, which also has an excellent chapter on ESP, is "The Roots of Coincidence" by Arthur Koestler.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Just got the Astrology book however Roots was a little expensive. Instead I purchased a Jung book on Synchronicity ... THANKS!!!!! Smile Smile Smile