The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: What Was Your Favorite Topic/Thread Of 2023 – Tricky Business Year In Review (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
(Long review post warning. I ask two questions to the community at the end, so if you want to not read the review simply skip to the end)

This is my annual Tricky Business forum review for the year 2023!

Tricky Business was slower this year than previous years, yet there were still some great topics and discussions.

I consciously decided not to participate in starting any threads for 2023, with the exception of a very few I only made as not to derail another existing thread that spun-off the question/topic.

I did this for several reasons. I regularly hear that Danny Doyle and I pretty much keep Tricky Business active. However, others have from time to time claim that it is us that keep others away from posting. In my experience based on a great deal of feedback this isn’t true, but I wanted to see how many more people would come out if I didn’t post, didn’t contribute near as much as I normally do, and see what people and topics would come and how many more would participate?

So, as I make this review it is based with this in mind as I had some contact me asking if I was okay or sick and said they noticed my lack of participation and contribution.

The year started with Fedora’s thread about Naming Your Show which I thought was a pretty decent topic and discussion that most of us as performers find ourselves faced with either in the beginning of our performing business, or anytime we are seeking to rebrand or create a new show offering. It wasn’t just about naming our performance, but also a branding and positioning topic as well.

Of course, the topic, like so many here, was immediately taken to kids’ performers and performances which took it off-track and causing it to be edited, when the post was intended for the OP’s interest in general and adult shows, meant for company parties, holiday events, celebrations, etc. But it was a good business discussion that demonstrated the differences, thinking, and approaches between the consumer and professional markets.

This was followed by a thread from Nash titled Using Creative Language In Your Emails. I think this resonated with some here as for the spam factor, but also to point out that so much “business” info available today is created and targeted for online businesses. Yet some seem to take it as this is how all businesses work or must work. It was good to have a discussion to remind us about how we as performers are NOT online businesses (even though we may use online elements in our businesses) reminding us that we are still physical businesses performing a physical service offering. Yet, email can be a significant part of our operations.

Tihani asked about a program about getting bookings from Paul Draper through Jeff McBride’s Mystery School. It was a several week program for either 6 or 8 hours of content. The description was (I believe) intentionally very vague, and didn’t really resonate much with many here. I feel the topic of the event was determined then the program was created after it had been announced while leading up to the event. I offered my thoughts on what I expected and it was pretty much spot on. It was Paul telling what he does and vaguely how he does it. It was not a properly designed teachable system, but more based on Paul’s work of hitting the pavement to generate what he can where he can. The lack of enthusiasm here seemed to be in line with what those attending seemed to think and have told me. I like Paul and I’m sure some got some ideas and a look at what he does, so there were probably some okay takeaways depending where you are at in your business.

Next, Nathan Alexander posted wanting info about a new book The Rocket by Sidney Friedman. Both the thread and the book really went nowhere. It was strange because Nathan was selling his copy of the book at the time and really offered nothing much about the book in his thread. We PM’d where I told him my thoughts on the book and some of its far-fetched, old-school, doubtfully productive ideas. Again, just another performer’s own writing of what he did, nothing of a system and structure for interested or learning performers.

This was followed by another Fedora thread titled Selling The Benefits Of Features In Entertainment. I was following this thread and specifically decided to stay out of it as I was seeing some poor information being offered. Explaining the benefits of entertainment should be quite easy yet I don’t think Fedora got the answers or responses he was seeking, but rather just some thoughts and opinions that really didn’t go where he was seeking with his inquiry. This was an example of me choosing to sit it out to see who, what, and how many others would respond and with what they would have to say without my influence since several here have often accused a couple of us as keeping others away and being too prominent in the business threads. I have always contended (and still do) that we don’t keep anyone away and that much of the discussion, progress, and actual insight for seeking such information is provided by myself and a few others and that we do bring out and get others involved. What always seems to happen when those with actual, real-world experience do not participate is very basic, general business content (not for entertainers) that is nothing more than surface-level thoughts, often outdated or taken out of the original OP’s context. There was sooo much more I wanted to add to this thread, but in my year of participating less, it was a thread that really offered nothing when it could have been gold to help many here. This was an important topic which I am glad Fedora brought to the forum.

One thread I did start this year back in March entitled Things You Now Know As A Professional That You Wish You Knew When Just Beginning. I started the thread after the moderators had been doing some heavy post modifying and deleting in another of Fedora’s thread. So, in an attempt to not derail his already heavily edited thread I decided to start this one. I was disappointed by the lack of participation in this thread as I felt it could have been a greatly helpful thread and learning content to many here. I think when the moderators start doing heavily editing and deleting it not only stops the momentum of a thread, but frustrates and discourages members from wanting to continue. Most edited threads almost always stop any forward progress if you’ve noticed. It is one thing to address members who are derailing the thread or to clean it up but this is an example where it literally killed the initial thread and that frustration also prevented this one from having any real chance to progress. This is not a rant against the mods, they do a great job, although perhaps not always what we think should have been done, but they have a tough job to do which we must respect. Anyhow, I really wish the circumstances were better with this as it was one of my only threads this year and it could have been both interesting and fun. It was based on experience, not opinions, which could’ve made it quite helpful.

The Colleges and Universities thread was also interesting as a teacher was asking about learning how and who to contact in the college market. Again, I was originally sitting this one out until I saw some terrible information being offered that his poor guy was accepting as fact. It was becoming such poor info that I did come in and post, explaining why the info he was being offered was incorrect and poor and I offered clarification on the info he was seeking. For some reason my posts were deleted rather than cleaned up. Here is another example where someone new was coming here for actual information and insight and was met with opinions and outdated thoughts based on no actual experience. Yet this info was left in the thread and the actual real-market content deleted. The content left was so misleading and frustrating that I contacted the OP by PM with the actual market information he was seeking and a link to this thread:
“Here is a reference thread that you may find helpful https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=44.” This was part of his response to my PM: "AWESOME! That was a great post. Thanks for sending me to it!! That was exactly what I wanted and was seeking.”

Next, was one of the longest threads of the year also by Fedora titled Is Being Viewed As A Magician A Negative? I thought this was a great topic and got a lot of interest. I must say I think Fedora has added some great topics to the forum this year and it has been great that he shares his journey, concerns, and struggles with us here. I know some may not like so many questions but that is how we all learn. I think he asks some good questions and interesting topics about entertainment business. I hope he continues to do this more as I actually look forward to them (just so they are accepted in the context he offers them and are not always immediately taken to kids shows and the kid’s market).

This thread contained my favorite quote of the year – “Being a magician is like living with your mother” from Fedora. I still spit up my Cap’N Crunch and milk every time I read it. There is no denying it by anyone within the actual industry that the perception and acceptance of magicians has changed over the past generation or two. It is not what it once was, yet it was interesting to see the responses this thread received. This thread went into many areas including puffery, perception, positioning, This thread brought out some new members and members that, while they may lurk and read here regularly, do not always post or participate. Good topics do that. This was one of the first topics where Danny became displeased with Fedora’s attempts at humor. I think its funny (not necessarily Fedora’s humor as some of it is not bad really), but more so Danny’s frustration with it, lol. Great topic and great participation. Again, I hope Fedora asks more questions and starts more topics like this. His curiosity and questions remind me of me when first starting out. These we the same questions and type of questions I would ask of George Burns, Steve Allen, Phyllis Diller, Don Rickles, and so many other greats who enjoyed my very same curiosity. I was always afraid they would get fed up with so many questions from a bright-eyed young guy, but they embraced them took the time to answer them properly by industry standards and practices, and embraced me trying to learn and find out information that didn’t exist publicly and from an industry understanding.

This thread was followed by another of Fedora’s about Choosing Target Markets. Again, another great topic and thread with good participation.

One of my most well-received threads started last year was the How Do I...Entertainment continued with an update. So many people had followed this thread and it gave kind of a glimpse of me just helping a newbie entertainer. I had received so any emails and messages I needed to clarify a thing or two in the update. Still a great thread if you have some time to review.

Dorian Faust started a thread inquiring about venues and 2/4 walling differences from different areas of the country. While there was some disagreement with Tom (imagine that, lol) the thread did provide the needed insight and a few takeaways for the OP and others that he seemed to appreciate. I enjoyed corresponding with the OP by PM to further his interest and inquiries.

Then there was magic4jc’s thread about Finder’s Fees. This was a good thread to point out the differences between professionals and amateurs and how they think, act, and operate. In this thread Danny was right I was biting my tongue following this thread and some of the nonsense being peddled. It was an interesting look at the differences between amateurs and working pros, operating from a “me” perspective and vs. an industry perspective, and opinions vs. standard industry operations.

This also highlights the amateur’s excuses, lack of knowledge, and justifications of “I am not a full-time performer. I have a regular job, and magic is something that I do on a part-time basis” to justify sloppy or lack of operations of their approach to performing. This is what occurs with a lack of entertainment business knowledge and education.

Also, this thread greatly demonstrates why I say never to ask another magician for business advice. The question was posed who should one be asking “if a magician shouldn't ask other magicians about the business of magic?” The answer would be someone who specializes in entertainment business. Why do magicians think other magicians would know about entertainment business when the vast majority of magicians are amateurs? That would be like asking the kid on the 25-cent racecar in at Chuck E. Cheese questions about the actual automotive business.

Investigative Mentalist had an interesting thread about Booking “Practice” Gigs At Retirement Homes which was interesting as it is based on an approach often seen in the magic community. This leads to another great question of how (and where) do you practice mentalism?

My Understanding Responsibility thread was an off-shoot of another current thread that I didn’t want to derail. It received some honest and good feedback from performers.

Andy Young started a thread about Places To Buy Magic Kits. This was likely helpful for magicians looking to sell BOR at their shows or add it to their offerings

Then back to another good business thread by Fedora - Rebook Rate. This was a very good thread lasting five pages with some very insightful and valuable information. Of course, it was taken to kid’s parties once again as so many threads here are by the same sole person. We were also graced with a visit from Lou S. out of the cobwebs which was nice and with no insults, digs or affiliate promotion. The thread went off in a few different directions but still contained some good info.

The March thread I started titled How Do You Present Your Shows was very interesting and insightful and brought out a few new members participating.

Cane and Able came in with questions about a business venture idea with A Set Fee For A Close Up Show At Your Table which provided some insight into this idea. This led to the value that is seen and associated with magic and magicians and what people would be willing to pay for a premium, personal show.

In August UKNeil asked How Do You Promote Your Website which was a good business topic. Lavey offered a great post here that I’m sure was quite helpful not just to beginners but to everyone.

Next was an interesting post from Fedora asking about Performing For Kids With Autism. I found this interesting because my first two gigs ever were for the autistic, deaf and blind groups.

RealityTwisterSFX started a thread about Turning A Comedy Club Into A Mentalism Show. This is one of those posts where many offered valuable insights and the OP quickly disappeared never to return again. I call these “takers threads.” They want the information from others without participating in their own thread. He may not have wanted to hear some of the things he likely needed to hear, but I have always found these types of situations to be the most valuable and the one we can learn the most from. Put your bruised feelings aside and hear the message and content being offered and you will benefit greatly from it. This could have been a great topic.

Next was Fedoras Are You Open To Negotiation? Thread. It was more about accepting a lower price than perhaps actual negotiating It led to several interesting points and perspectives which could be valuable to many. Good thread.

Next was a very unique and interesting post started by om-darji titled Non-Binary Magicians. This was very interesting and probably needed for many. It is a factor of the current market and society. I think this may be more prevalent in some locations than others, yet important just the same. There was some great participation in this thread and I applaud the OP for posting this thread and for his patience and understanding to many of us here including his insight into the topic. What a very great post and contribution.

Then Gaeillusionist asked advice about performing on cruise lines. This was interesting as I too have been getting many questions and interest recently from many performers I have worked with about this market. It seems to swing in popularity in cycles and perhaps another post-pandemic cycle is happening.

Dan Freed asked a great question on the topic of Website Copy – In first or Third Person. It seemed like he received some useful advice which is always great and why we are here in the first place. Thanks Dan, I hope your website is coming along well.

Another interesting thread by Fedora was For Sale: Bad Ideas which discussed the many poor books out there from magicians on magician’s marketing. No specific books were referenced but it was about the concept of me-based magicians offering business advice or marketing advice which is often terrible or damaging information as provided in Fedora’s points that he referenced from such books. As Danny pointed out – be careful when you talk about these as those of us that do regularly get chastised for saying anything bad about magicians or magician’s business and marketing attempts. It seems many just want to give them a free pass because they are magicians and not hold them responsible or accountable for bad or misinformation. Yet, with that risk, most agreed with such information. Then the topic veered off to most magicians marketing books are taken from general or conventional business and marketing books and of course that is one of the biggest parts of the problems. Still a decent discussion and points well-taken.

Fedora also posted about Post-Covid Policy which received some good responses and insight.

Next was “poster of the year” Fedora’s thread about the About Me Page on websites. This triggered good discussions and insights based on what you are trying to accomplish and your positioning. Similar to Dan’s first or third person thread, it discussed the significance, purpose, perception, and reasoning behind an About page. The About page is a very important and misunderstood aspect to a performer’s website. How to best or properly utilize it is both an art and science. There were some blatant disagreements here in this thread (imagine that!) and I’m not sure if Fedora took and applied it to his website but I believe it was a helpful thread.

Andy Young started a thread about Posters, followed by Fedora’s last post so far about Bird In The Hand about a common booking dilemma for performers with regard to having a booking in the process when another, often better one comes in for the same date and time. It has happened to most of us and is a topic that deserves attention, especially for newbies or those yet to experience it. Of course, this quickly goes into your booking and/or confirmation process and procedures which makes this possible or can prevent it all together. Again, this is another example of how amateurs handle this vs. professionals, and even to another extent kid’s performers vs. non-kid’s performers. Of course, this thread was taken to the whole kid’s performers level but it is an issue also for others in non-kids performances. Still a decent topic and again I’m grateful for Fedora putting this out there and sharing his experience and more of his journey with us.

Once gain more attempts at humor which didn’t land with Danny (which makes it funny to me itself, lol) and the bringing of the question of “is Fedora actually getting any of the advice offered to him, is he understanding it? Applying any of it? Is it making a difference for him and to his business? We often hear how things have worked out from others when having taken advice presented here. We are not hearing any follow-up or feedback from any of this, so I know I and others are curious as they have expressed to me.

This thread quickly went to “are you operating as a business or not?” Of course, this topic was quickly again dragged to be about kids’ parties (why does this always need to happen and ruin such good threads? Especially when those doing it aren’t even kid’s performers????) Then Fedora offered his interest in resorts, theme parks, trade shows and research into touring (far away from kid shows).

Another thing this thread reminds us of is to always receive and keep things in the proper context as being offered, presented or asked, which has shown itself problematic in several areas throughout this thread.

We also found out that Fedora, after mentioning he was switching to T-Mobile in one of his earlier threads of the year finally is getting it done. I hope you move faster in your business than on switching your cellular phone carrier, lol (now that was funny!)

There have been a few guys that have come into Tricky Business to resurrect some old threads, some as old as twenty years ago, for apparently no reason other than to boost their newer post count. When this happens there seems to be no real contribution or current information being offered but we have seen it this year with 5 or 6 threads.

So that’s my review for 2023.

Questions…

I am hearing from many performers that last year and this year have still been rebounding greatly from the effects of the pandemic.

So as a year in review post, let me ask you two questions…

How was your 2023?

Also, are you finding your business this year to be better, worse, or the same as pre-pandemic?

Thanks to everyone!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
My business seems to be divided into 3 categories.

1. Weekend business (Community events, birthday parties, festivals, corporate parties, etc.)
2. Summer business (summer camps, campgrounds, community events, libraries, etc.)
3. School Assemblies

In 2023 my weekend business and summer business was very strong, better than before the pandemic. In fact, the summer of 2023 was my best ever.

However, School Assemblies were very bad, especially this past fall and winter. I think this is still due to the pandemic. There is still a certain percentage of schools that are afraid to book assemblies. Maybe its fear of some parents. It only takes a few angry parents to make educators ask if its worth it? And I'm sure there is a certain group of educators that do not think its safe, and assemblies are simply not necessary.

Of course there are some schools that act is if there never was a pandemic and conduct business as usual and I'm still booking some assemblies. But the percentage of fearful schools have brought my business way down.

If I am wrong about this reasoning, it means I need to go back to marketing boot camp and find a solution....or just retire! Smile

I think this contrast is interesting. Most of the general public barely gives covid any thought anymore, and are ready to get back to enjoying life. While there are certain pockets of the population, like schools, that can't let go of the fear.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I might be "poster of the year", but you defiantly have the record for the longest post
of the year.

You are right that I never went back to those threads to update, sorry about that,
I'll do so here.

2023 has been my best year easy, at least in Arizona covid is a long-gone memory.

I credit a few things to the increase, one of which is the information in mindpro's thread
"How do I entertainment business" from last year. Specifically, I hadn't had what he called
an "elevator description", I also didn't have a specific way of presenting my offerings,
a "sales performance". There was other helpful information as well, if anyone hasn't read
it I would encourage you to do so. https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0

Early in the year I started a thread, and it turned into the topic of getting on preferred
vendor lists. as it turns out, they are quite easy to get on to, unfortunately, it's not
worth doing as I have gotten exactly zero from it besides some contacts with venue owners.
which is nice, but there's other ways to approach that.

I wrote a simple "about me" page, it will be rewritten soon, as well as a demo video will be
added to my website in the near future.

I tried to switch to T-Mobile internet back in January, but they didn't cover my area,
luckily, they added more coverage.

I'm sure I am forgetting things but that's enough for now, all in all 2023 has been to
for me, I hope everyone here has a successful 2024.

Ps, I did apparently take a disproportionate amount of green space this year, I started
11 threads in this forum, one a month.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Glad to hear an update from you and to hear my How Do I... thread was helpful to you as I have also heard that from so many, second only to my Coaching thread of a few years ago.

I am glad you made the amount of posts you did in this past year as it helped keep Tricky Business going, especially since I pulled back from starting so many posts. One of the things I'm sure you'd be surprised about is the amount of others that are here (participating or just lurking) that can learn and benefit from these topics, threads, and insights.

I hope you continue to keep it up in 2024, as well as others here as well, to keep Tricky Business active.

Yes, this was along thread to write as I started on Thanksgiving Day writing and reviewing each thread of the year and just finished last night. What a task...and it was a slow year!

I'm glad you and Ken had overall good results this year. Ken, I agree with everything you said, as I also hear similar about the school market nationwide. Seems assemblies have dipped but fundraisers and year-end have been well-received. Thanks for participating guys.