The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Mark Elsdon;s UNLOCK (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
The recent yPenguin email commendation of Mark Elsdon's 400 page UNLOCK tells us , in a .dozen way, that it is a must-buy, but very little about its contents.

Can anyone provide the book's Table of Contents?

George
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1365 Posts

Profile of bekralik
From the video, and the list of contributors, it sounds like a compilation of his Mentalism Reveals books for the bulk of it, and maybe some additional material.
I was initially interested but since I have the 3 MR volumes not so much anymore. Surprised they haven’t shown more info, the video also says it’s in French, which was how Unlock was originally sold before looking at the French magic shops that carried this; I presume this would be in English unless otherwise noted.

Interested from hearing from someone who bought this, though.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2842 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
For the price they're asking, they really should offer more details about the contents. I'm not willing to take a chance on this one. Will wait for reviews...

corindaman
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of corindaman
Same here, it could be just a rehash of his already published works. I note that this is not available through main dealers , Vanishing inc etc. That could tell you a lot!
I will also wait for reviews!!
magicattorney
View Profile
New user
Charleston, South Carolina
30 Posts

Profile of magicattorney
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2023, George Hunter wrote:
The recent yPenguin email commendation of Mark Elsdon's 400 page UNLOCK tells us , in a .dozen way, that it is a must-buy, but very little about its contents.

Can anyone provide the book's Table of Contents?

George

This is all I see from Penguin's Webiste

In Unlock, you will find outstanding effects such as:

• Quiz Master: A mental effect that uses a stack of cards from the famous board game Trivial Pursuit.
• Memorisation: One of Mark’s signature routines when it comes to sensational memory feats.
• Antique Roadshow: Which gives you the ability to predict the price of any object.

In addition, Mark has published for the very first time his effect titled Decibel Vision, in which your psychic friend can reveal a thought-of card over the phone. Everything is COMPLETELY hands-off. The performer plays NO part in selecting a card. The performer plays NO part in dialling the number or talking to the psychic at ANY time. Genuinely, the performer is NEVER in contact with the psychic, before, during or after the performance. In a nutshell, this effect alone is worth the price of the book.

Unlock is jam-packed with secrets as well as contributions! Mark has called upon the most creative minds in magic and mentalism in order to create a sensational publication. You will find contributions by: Michael Weber, Chris Carter, Lee Earle, Sean Taylor, Chuck Hickok, Ran Pink, Drew McAdam, Jasper Blakeley, Thom Bleasdale, Scott Grossberg, Luke Jermay (whose Balloon-Ology concept is devilishly clever), Ken Dyne, Stuart Nolan, Richard P. Slater, Atlas Brookings, Bill Abbott, Paul Brook, Roddy McGhie, Tom Bennett and Jeff McBride.

In addition to all the teachings contained within the 416 pages of this beautiful hardback book, Unlock hides a secret... a puzzle you must solve in order to win a wonderful prize! Good luck to you all!

Mark Elsdon is a diabolical inventor of great magic, and has consulted for all of the big names in our industry. Mark Elsdon has been performing magic and mentalism professionally for over 25 years. He has authored dozen books and many more single-release tricks. He focuses his creativity on devising powerful and memorable material.

• 55 Chapters
• 22 Contributors
• 416 pages
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1365 Posts

Profile of bekralik
In Michael Murray's October newsletter he had this listed and noted "All Three Mentalism Reveals Books Combined and Collated into One Single Volume"
I don't have the first two volumes offhand but I see that Volume 3 had Antique Roadshow and Decibel Vision. And now Penguin notes it is "English hardcover" so one confusing point has been cleared up from the video and the previously released book in French with the same title.

To be fair, it's a great price - I think the MR volumes were $150 each; here, you're getting all three for the price of one. I guess I should've waited for the compilation.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
On Penguin, the recently added video confirms that the book includes a compendium of the earlier work on Reveals, so I will probably order it. I am especially interested in the material related to reveals.

For some reason, Penguin's site is not recognizing my pw today, so I have asked them to sort that out.

George
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
My wife bought this for me as an early Christmas present.
I will be looking it over and I will give a review.

Good magic to all,

Eric
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Penguin fixed my problem, the book is en route.

Looking forward to the Reveals material and other good stuff.

George
ijustwannalearn
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of ijustwannalearn
The book is looks amazing, I haven’t gotten to any performance material but so far very thought provoking
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I do know one thing Mr.Elsdon and I have different musical tastes LoL. I'm still going through this as well but will definitely review it when I'm done.

Good magic to all,

Eric
ijustwannalearn
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of ijustwannalearn
A majority of the book thus far has been more so character development
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
The link on MindFX says:

"All Three Mentalism Reveals Books Combined and Collated into One Single Volume Plus an Additional 100 pages of Brand New Material!"

So it seems like there is newly added material. Though the ad copy does not make that clear. Can anybody confirm?
Adam Meier
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Adam Meier
I don`t think it can be the Mentalism Reveals series. They where all limited number of 100 each series. Murray is a man of honor and I am sure this can`t be right.

Here is from the ad copy from Mentalism Reveals 3: "It is a limited edition of 100 copies".
UXPro
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of UXPro
So I don't own Mentalism Reveals, but based on the TOC I found on MagicRef, it looks like it aligns with the contents of part one of Unlock.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
My copy arrived early this week, I devoted much of the week to it, read it, and generally like it.

First, my reservations. In the hands of most writers and publishers, this 460 page book would be more like 280 or 300 pages. In many chapters, the vertical width between lines is much wider than in most books. Many pages give no information at al; just cartoons, caricatures, or photos--including a remarkable number of the author. Several articles featured only commonplace insights; several others were padding.

Nevertheless, this project overall is very good. Several of the chapters told me how to improve effects I am already performing. Several of Elsdon's chapters have advanced my understanding, and chapters by Michael Weber, Lee Earle, and Atlas Brookings gave helpful insight. Several of the "tricks"that are taught are not the writers' A-level material, but several others are stellar.

Elsdon's essays can provide thought. In one essay, he argues that what we do are "tricks", not "effects"--because, in his paradigm, the effect (on the audience?) is just one part of the overall trick. In other paradigms, however, trick is rather synonymous with method and is therefore a part of the overall Effect. Elsdon makes a cogent case for the idea that Mentalism is a genre of Magic, and not as sue generis as we sometimes prefer to think.

And Elsdon's project delineates a paradox very nicely. On the one hand, what we want people to most remember is the performer; we are the Message. On the other hand, we achieve that (in part) by making our performances as much about the audience as we can. And the reader will, in fact, perform his or her reveals more effectively.

In my judgment, Unlock is a should-have, if not quite a must-have. I plan to give it a second reading--but this time through, I will know what to skip!

George
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
As an addendum to my previous post, let me report one concern about the book that I forgot to mention: The TITLE does not do justice to this fine book because, from the title, many people who should consider buying it will not be cued by the title to check it out..

The book builds on the three Mentalism Reveals books that Elsdon published some years ago. In part, I think those volumes sold out because the title actually communicated what the books were about and who they were for.

I hope I am wrong, but "Unlock" may not stand a fair chance of alerting it's prospective readers. If there is an explanation for that choice of a title, anywhere in the book, I missed it. Normally, a book's title should indicate what the book is about. At the very least, the addition of a clear sub-title should do that.

Throughout, the book has its idiosyncrasies, quirks, and surprises. Early on, for instance, what we would usually call the Table of Contents is headed "My Notes." But a book's title should be free of such indirection.

Maybe this community could help commend the book to our peers who should consider springing for it.

George
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2044 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I'm behind on my reading, but I did receive my copy of Unlock last week. I had already purchased Mentalism Reveals 1 & 2 when they were released, but I somehow missed #3. This book was a bargain. In my perusing, I found a drawing duplication I love. It only takes a minute. Strong stuff, simple method.

I'm also challenged by Mark to find other interests (I may take a dance class, or maybe learn a martial art). The book is creatively laid out, and one can tell the author has taken his own advice to boost his creativity.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1365 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Mike, if you’d had all three MR volumes, is there enough additional material to make it worthwhile? Like, is the drawing dupe in one of the MR volumes? I have all 3 but can’t recall.

Brian
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2044 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2024, bekralik wrote:
Mike, if you’d had all three MR volumes, is there enough additional material to make it worthwhile? Like, is the drawing dupe in one of the MR volumes? I have all 3 but can’t recall.

Brian

Brian, to my shame, I don't recall the contents of the previous books because I did not study them enough. My renewed interest in the books, plus the fact that I could get volume three for $150, plus other routines, was enough to push me over the decision line. Your mileage may vary.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.