The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: What is the best stage performance or routine you've ever seen? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
FilmMagician
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of FilmMagician
Doing some research. Would love to hear what your all time favorite routines that you've seen are.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Lance Burton’s Masked Ball
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Almost anything by Harry Blackstone Jr. (LOVE his voice and stage presence!)
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Assuming that the question is for Grand Illusions seen in person. Then my top 10 would be:

1. Walter Blaney - Ladder Levitation (also have seen it excellently performed by Lance Burton)
2. Harry Blackstone Junior - Enchanted Garden
3. Doug Henning - Bump in the Night (Copperfield and Lance Burton also had wonderful versions but I give slight edge to Henning's staging)
4. Doug Henning - Floating Ball
5. David Copperfield - Flying Illusion
6. Matt Kalita - Suspended Upside Down Straight Jacket Escape
7. Losander - Floating/Vanishing Table
8. Pendragons - Metamorphosis
9. Ralph Adams - Victory Cartons (yeah, I know it is Victory Cartons, but his handling made it a masterpiece)
10. Pendragons - Sword Suspension
Bonus: Penn & Teller - Bullet Catch

If you include manipulative style routines, that would be different with Lance Burton, Fantasio, and Neil Foster being in the top 10 for sure.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Hans Moretti - The Box

It was so much better than any of the online videos of the routine. He really beefed up the finale when I saw it.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:
9. Ralph Adams - Victory Cartons (yeah, I know it is Victory Cartons, but his handling made it a masterpiece)

WOW, yes! I had never never Ralph Adams's presentation of the "Victory Cartons" before you mentioned it, but I went hunting on YouTube and there it is.

https://youtu.be/PTnHMC3Ga9g?t=14

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Three of my favourites that I've seen in person:

1. Greg Frewin performing his FISM Winning Bird Act
2. Murray Hatfield performing Divided in 4 (I can only find an online video of Greg Wilson performing it... still amazing) *
3. David Copperfield performing Brazilian Water Levitation

- Donald

P.S. * I've also seen Greg Wilson perform in person, but I'm not sure if I saw him perform this illusion when I saw him.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2023, David Todd wrote:
WOW, yes! I had never never Ralph Adams's presentation of the "Victory Cartons" before you mentioned it, but I went hunting on YouTube and there it is.

And that black and white video doesn't do it justice! He was an accomplished lapidary artist and brought that eye for shine to his props and scenery. He also was a professional photographer so he really understood lighting. His Victory Cartons had a polished trim which made the "something special" he added to the illusion imperceptible under basic stage lights. And of course, there was his legendary version of the dancing hanks. He also had an advantage of a large family as assistants so they had decades of experience in getting timing just right for the various illusions.

Quote:
On Nov 28, 2023, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Three of my favourites that I've seen in person:

1. Greg Frewin performing his FISM Winning Bird Act

He is one of the major illusionists I have never seen live but would really like to. I hope to get up to Niagara Falls one of these days and catch his show.
Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
For me that would be:

1. David Copperfield - Flying
2. Siegfried & Roy - The whole show at the Mirage
3. Christian Fechner - The whole show
To infinity, and beyond!
Frank Simpson