The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Creativity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
852 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
I became curious and did a search on the cafe for the subject "creativity". It turns out that last message posted on the topic was from 2014...

It seems that "we" prefer to "consume" magic products (created by others) rather than to create our own. Don't ask me what I prefer... you already know the answer (hehe).
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Fro me there are five different types of creativity for magic: Inspiration, Collocation, Emergence, Synergy, Divergence.

The there is the issue of derivative vs non-derivative sleights and moves.

I use them all to create new moves, sleights and stratagems in combinations. 12 new sleights since August and more than 60 in the last decade.

The problem, methinks, is not creativity - it is the willingness to be open to something new, practice to automaticity and create congruous routines.

Many today have a "buy today, perform tomorrow" attitude for audiences interested in gotcha and skill demo over magic.

There is little incentive for strong magic for audiences on a cell phone with no expectations for magic at all.

If I ever choose to perform publicly again, I will have balloon-tying as backup, and my special effects "on the ready" in case I ever find an appreciative audience.

Mean while, I will refine and publish new effects and sleight for the few that actually want to create a "real experience of magic"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
The usual procedure naturally creates magic from nothing.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Creativity is something that I think about daily, both in a professional and personal capacity. But I agree that this subject is sorely neglected in the magical literature and here on the Cafe.

Jay Sankey is arguably one of the most creative magicians alive today. A few years ago, he shared valuable tips to help magicians embrace their natural and unique sense of creativity. As it happens, I've just finished writing a blog post summarising these ten tips on creativity (I've been meaning to write this piece since March!):

Read Sankey Shakes It Up!

Marty

P.S. Adam Wilber is also a highly creative magician and magic creator/producer, and I'm sure his workshop is worth the asking price. Creativity isn't as tricky as some performers think. However, it is a muscle that you need to exercise regularly.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3044 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
FWIW, here's a piece I wrote for my blog here, back in '06, on creativity:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=173
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
That's a fascinating article. Thanks, George. I hadn't encountered Creativity: A Continuing Inventory of Knowledge. I have to take a look at it.

My favourite book on this topic is The Art of Thought by Graham Wallas. Even though it was first published in 1926, it includes some incredible insights into the creative thought process. A digital copy of the book is available from the Internet Archive.

Here's an old video I made for a work project several years ago, which summarises some of the main concepts regarding creative thinking from the book:

Marty