The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Karl Fulves has died (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
benfulves
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of benfulves
Carl Anthony Fulves, 84, known as Karl Fulves, passed away on February 16, 2023 in Hackensack, NJ. He was predeceased by his parents, Diane and Carl, and by his son Peter. He is survived by his sister Kathy Mohrman and brother-in-law Michael, by his sisters Diane and Michele Fulves, his sons Neal and Ben, his nephews Christopher and Michael Mohrman, and by his ex-wife Georgiana Schmidt.

Carl was born in New Rochelle, NY on July 27, 1938. He graduated from New Rochelle High School in 1956 and attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY where he studied electrical engineering. He worked as an electrical engineer for several years starting around 1960 while simultaneously publishing in the field of magic. From 1982 until nearly the end of his life he worked as an administrative assistant in the medical services field in New Jersey.

Although his innovations in the field of magic and his prolific writing were almost entirely self-published, he achieved mainstream success starting in 1976 with the first of a long series of books published by Dover Books, and followed in 1977 by The Magic Book from Random house. The publicity program for The Magic Book featured appearances on the Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas, and Dick Cavett television shows – among his few known public performances.

His son Ben would appreciate hearing from anyone who knew Karl personally. Ben may be reached at 207-406-3951 or at benfulves@gmail.com.
alea
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of alea
Dear Ben, I’m really deeply sad reading about your Dad passing away…
I knew him only indirectly through his huge productions and wonderful books!
What a prolific genius, a Myth and a Giant for me , a mathematician - like Martin Gardner- always present in my readings and in my researches!

As a matter of fact recently I talked about some of his brilliant effects with a friend of mine, “aficionado” like me and , what a coincidence, another great friend, Diego Allegri (one of the best cardician in Italy and a landmark for magic lovers) dedicated October month for the subscribes of his magic channel (https://www.talkingmagic.it/) to the analysis of the best Karl Fulves effects based on his publications (beginning from Pullbearers Review, Chronicles, Epilogue, only to mention three gems) and , as usually did, he recommended the entire bibliography of the Master (though any of these items are extremely rare to find, referring to the so called “underground material” or the the “Lowdown” review).

I hope in the future you will consider the possibility to ideally keeping alive your Dad’s untiring passion for publishing, gathering for magic community some of his unrealeased material…
However things turn out, he will always be one of our favourite cardmagic Heroes!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Like many of us, I frequented a couple of local magic shops and saw many budding magicians - and seasoned veterans as well - who would ask for easy-to-understand, easy-to-do books on magic that would amaze an audience. They would always be led to the shelf that held Karl Fulves' books.

Mr. Fulves put miracles at the feet of mortals, making them comprehensible and easy to share with the masses. He brought smiles to performers and spectators alike, and most likely enriched a lot of lives in the process.

Rest in peace Karl. You did what most of us aspire to do in life... leave a wonderful bit of ourselves behind.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Condolences to family and friends. Such a prolific writer.
darren-uk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of darren-uk
Simply the greatest teacher of card magic IMHO. Ben, deepest sympathies to you and your family. Please take comfort in how loved and respected your father was.
Darren, UK

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal labotomy.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I never met Karl but we spoke on the phone a few times. He let me perform an Over The Phone effect for him and he made me very happy. He was truly a genius and a good man!!!!! RIP
I just purchased his book Self Working Paper Magic... Didn't he get into Origami too?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2975 Posts

Profile of MueCard
I had a lively correspondence with Karl and wrote several articles for his magazines, he used my "Three Card Catch" as the cover picture for his Dover edition of Self Working Card Tricks. Every year at Christmas I sent him my Escorial manuscript, to which he sent me valuable comments.
I miss Karl, my heartfelt condolences to his loved ones. May he rest in peace.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Pages in his books are well worn. Lynn