The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Hmmm....Not sure what to make of this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
I didn't know where else to post this. I was placing an order with Vanishing Inc. when I noticed they are now in Rancho Cordova, California. Wait a minute, isn't that where Penguin Magic is, and wasn't Vanishing Inc. in Ohio? So I went on Google Earth and found out they are 2.5 miles from each other. Then I discovered that Murphy's Magic was just a 1/4 mile from Penguin and 2.5 miles from Vanishing Inc.
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Andi Gladwin explained this on a podcast recently. Murphy’s has the biggest warehouse in the country and it helps to be close to them for inventory purposes.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
I have NO idea what Bill's point is. Just letting us know where places are? That can be looked up pretty easily. Maybe he's planning a trip to that area? No clue.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Erik Tait told me the same thing when we worked together in June. The warehouses are all close to each other which just makes logistics easier.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
If you check the return address on packages you receive from many magic dealers you will notice the return address of Rancho Cordova. The order was drop-shipped from Murphy’s. The dealer you ordered from doesn’t actually have any stock on hand. ( or very little).
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1554 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2023, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Erik Tait told me the same thing when we worked together in June. The warehouses are all close to each other which just makes logistics easier.

In economics, this is known as "Hotelling." Businesses cluster together to reduce transportation costs, but they can also cluster to share a customer base. In many towns there are streets almost purely dedicated to automobile repair.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
Thanks, Imfletcher. I figured that was probably the case, however there were rumblings about Penguin having problems a while back, so maybe a possible merger? Who knows. Smart move by Vanishinging Magic in my opinion.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The logistics of business is where much of the money is.

I did a store once for The Council of Logistics Management. (Renamed since.) Their entire mission is the logistics of business. At the show I did for the convention the keynote speaker was the general from Dessert Shield who was responsible for bringing in everything for the operation. Every drop of gas, clothing, ammunition, and anything you can imagine. Complicated by the fact it was being done in secret! Amazing to say the least.

The clustering idea is also interesting. It is how Silicon Valley started because I believe one of the original founders wanted to be close to his moms retirement home. I could be very wrong but thought that was the case. Funny how life works.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1121 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
A-1 Mutimedia was right down the road back in the day. They may have started the magic trend in the area!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is how Silicon Valley started because I believe one of the original founders wanted to be close to his moms retirement home. I could be very wrong but thought that was the case. Funny how life works.

What gave you that belief?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

“ In 1956, William Shockley, the co-inventor of the first working transistor (with John Bardeen and Walter Houser Brattain), moved from New Jersey to Mountain View, California, to start Shockley Semiconductor Laboratory to live closer to his ailing mother in Palo Alto. Shockley's work served as the basis for many electronic developments for decades.[34][35] Both Frederick Terman and William Shockley are often called "the father of Silicon Valley".

This wasn’t what gave me the belief, I heard it somewhere else but it is what I was referring to.

It certainly isn’t a very deeply held belief and I could be wrong. But I have done shows for many tech companies there and this story is told by a lot of people.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I grew up there and never heard this. Very interesting.
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:

Now if they can just move the warehouses closer to Australia we'll all be happy! Smile
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2023, Zuke wrote:
Quote:

Now if they can just move the warehouses closer to Australia we'll all be happy! Smile

Yes, I certainly don't envy the increased shipping times those in the Down Under must endure!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings