The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Art of magic in Great Britain between 1860s and 1910s. Artistic expression of the impossible (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
Art of magic in Great Britain between 1860s and 1910s. Artistic expression of the impossible

By Alexey Pivovarov - Russian fella I think

Not sure if this link will work but one can find it as a PDF on Google

https://publikationen.ub.uni-frankfurt.d......arov.pdf

It is a wonderful little book in my view. I am sure some here will be well aware of it but it was new to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
Thanks for sharing this. Looks like an interesting read.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
Pursuit of naturalness

“In the second chapter, I have pointed out the importance of realism in magic shows. Magicians recreated impossible effects while claiming to achieve them with science. The rational exploration of the irrational and the desire to capture the supernatural with scientific precision and recreate it in the form of a believable visual experience was an important trend for various art fields.”

I think that’s funny.

Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That's a fun read tommy, thanks Smile

How apropos that the author closes the work by quoting Einstein: "The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science."

it seems you and Whit have it about reflecting the world in a fun house mirror. Seeing the absurd and impossible safely from the theater seat. Aristotle wrote about simulated nature (mimesis) in poetics. And Shakespeare about "the mirror up to nature".

Fairy tales are so much more comfortable than nature as we find it.
...to all the coins I've dropped here