The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Audio Misdirection (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scaro159
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Scaro159
Hi Folks

I'm new to the Cafe but a friend suggested that there might be some fine people here who can help me with a bit of research I’m trying to solve a slightly weird problem, and I'm not sure that this fits into any of the other subforums so I’m posting here (but please redirect me if necessary).

Lots of the magic literature talks about visual misdirection (a big move covering a small move, spectators following where the magician is looking etc) and in some cases a trick revolves around spectators not noticing things they would be literally looking at just because of timing or them disregarding movements that seem irrelevant. I'm interested in if anyone knows of any audio/sound equivalents.

By that I don’t mean saying someone's name to get them to look away, or sudden loud noises in the background, but more using one sound to cover up a different one. Obviously you can talk over a potentially noisy gimmick (e.g. the Raven clinking a little), but I'm more interested in using one sound to cover another's existence outside just being drowned out. While I know sound does have it's uses in many tricks (Miser's Dream) etc, it always seems to be on using sound as a convincer etc, rather than misdirection, and as a result, I cant seem to find all that much on the topic

Theories both personal and published, applications and uses, anything at all would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Scaro159
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Snap deal springs to mind: Lennart Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskto......=Sego763

I was reading the other day about rattlesnakes: They can change the frequency of their rattle to sound closer or farther away than they are.

I am only an amateur card guy but I recall a magician doing an effect with a bell, which rings but has no dong.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2023, Scaro159 wrote:
Hi Folks

I'm new to the Cafe but a friend suggested that there might be some fine people here who can help me with a bit of research I’m trying to solve a slightly weird problem, and I'm not sure that this fits into any of the other subforums so I’m posting here (but please redirect me if necessary).

Lots of the magic literature talks about visual misdirection (a big move covering a small move, spectators following where the magician is looking etc) and in some cases a trick revolves around spectators not noticing things they would be literally looking at just because of timing or them disregarding movements that seem irrelevant. I'm interested in if anyone knows of any audio/sound equivalents.

By that I don’t mean saying someone's name to get them to look away, or sudden loud noises in the background, but more using one sound to cover up a different one. Obviously you can talk over a potentially noisy gimmick (e.g. the Raven clinking a little), but I'm more interested in using one sound to cover another's existence outside just being drowned out. While I know sound does have it's uses in many tricks (Miser's Dream) etc, it always seems to be on using sound as a convincer etc, rather than misdirection, and as a result, I cant seem to find all that much on the topic

Theories both personal and published, applications and uses, anything at all would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Scaro159

Copperfield has actually used an audience catcalling whistle as a misdirection. Those who know, know which routine I'm taking about.

Ask Angelina. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How about the rattle bar? Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
David Roth's Tuning Fork might fit the bill. And some versions of Coins Through Table use sound misdirection where the sound appears to come from hand A but is really in hand B. And the Click Pass and such play with the misattribution of where the sound is coming from.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Card guys sometimes need to mask a sound.

Know what I mean? Say no more.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Have you considered music? Works wonders for covering up unwanted sounds …
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Dec 22, 2023, arthur stead wrote:
Have you considered music? Works wonders for covering up unwanted sounds …

Arthur is correct but I take it one step further. I record / sample the noise that I want to cover up. Then I add it to the track as a usual beat throughout the song. Instead of covering up the noise I add it to the song and kind of smother the offensive clue. They get used to hearing that particular sound BEFORE you actually make it. The hope is that it blends in to the background music .. Plus you may want to clear your throat at the time of the sound. A small cough or two. Please give $5 to the first homeless guy you see or it won't work. Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....