The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Straight Jacket Identification please (care and feeding) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cris Cringle
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Cris Cringle
Hi All,

I have a straight jacket that I used in an escape routine almost 2 decades ago. I haven't used it much since, however my son lately has wanted to use it for Halloween. So I got it out and it is in pretty good nick.
I was wondering about cleaning and care for something like this which I didn't worry about at all 20 years ago hahaha. It doesn't really need it yet but nonetheless it doesn't hurt to ask. I'll try to attach a pic of the jacket. It is made of very heavy canvas and equally as heavy strong leather strapping however there is no tags inside. I for the life of me cannot remember what shop I purchased it from, however back in those days I purchased most of my kit from Fred at Theophillus Magic in Milwaukee Wi. (before moving to Australia). Any help on care would be greatly appreciated. I've never washed it but have kept it in really good shape and would think it would be difficult to find a replacement .

C

Click here to view attached image.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
jccooper
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of jccooper
If it's real leather straps, standard leather care would apply. A bit of saddle soap to clean it if necessary. Leather oil once or twice a year. Just keep the leather products off the canvas. Brush clean, store neat.

If it's bonded leather or something like that, it'll fall apart when it's gonna fall apart. You can use clean with a damp cloth and use leather conditioner to try to preserve it.

If necessary to wash the fabric, I'd hand wash, hang dry, and oil the leather after.
KD
View Profile
New user
Wexford
1 Post

Profile of KD
Scrub it with a good wash powder, and let it dry outside. Unlike some of the UK ones you will soon see how it comes up!
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
You have a gaffed jacket made by a legitimate strait-jacket manufacturer - the "Humane Restraint" Co. in Wisconsin.

Write to them - for cleaning & care instructions.