The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You Oughta Be In Pictures :: All new and original (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
I've been trying something different lately when it comes to my magic.
I likened coming up with a magic routine like writing a song.
Most of the time a song writer first writes the lyrics, and then comes up with an accompaniment to go with it.
I figured getting a new piece of magic, or learning a new piece of magic, is like having lyrics without the music.
Coming up with a routine to go with a trick is like coming up with the accompaniment for lyrics.
However, not all song writers write the lyrics first. Some write the music first, and then come up with the lyrics.
So, I have been taking this approach with magic. I first come up with the routine, the idea, the scenario, and then I put the trick to it.
Instead of coming up with a routine for the trick.

Here is my latest video of three new routines.
The first one does not follow what I said above, and you can see it's a good trick but needs more of a routine.
The other two do follow what I said, and you can see those are far more in depth. Far more original.
Embedding the video here never works for me, so here is the link...

https://youtu.be/BH1X7th48AM

I encourage others to try what I said above, even if it's just as an exercise.
You might find that it works for you.

Randi
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Thank you for sharing that Randi. Very entertaining!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Very entertaining,, Randi!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks for your comments. I try to tell interesting true stories. Fortunately, I have many strange true stories like when I drove my enebriated father home from the golf course a couple times per month, a 2 hour drive through the winding mountain roads in Guatemala... when I was 12. Or the time we went on vacation to an island where I came in from the ocean every day around 11:00. My family was gone and the thatch huts hotel only had the bar open. the bartender would sneak me a rice dish from the kitchen and taught me to drink tequila... at age 9. So many more, including multiple times actually dodging bullets as a teen. I have turned these stories into magic routines.

I see scripting a magic show more like writing a story. but maybe a musical is a better way of thinking of it. the lyrics is the scripting and the music is the magic. I like that.

I have purchased several props from you in the past. You are always so creative.