The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You Oughta Be In Pictures :: Hitchcock Aces - Small tribute to Darwin Ortiz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1102 Posts

Profile of Nash
When I was 14, I started learning magic from saving up lunch money to secretly purchase magic instructional VHS. The first VHS I bought was CardShark. Vol.2 by Darwin Ortiz. I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr.Ortiz himself, but if I could, I'd def let him know he got my lunch money Smile .

Last Saturday, the day after Mr.Ortiz had departed, I was booked to present at a fundraiser. The organizer talked about how growing up in the foster care system helped her, and how she remembers those who helped her along the way and that's why the fundraiser was to benefit the foster care non-profit. I thought it would make perfect sense to present a trick from Darwin. Without him generously sharing his magic with thousands and thousands of young magicians like myself, I wouldn’t be here today

RIP Darwin

I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good job, Nash. I think Darwin would be proud of your efforts.

So sorry to hear of this. Smile

I first saw Darwin at work at the very 1st Metro Magic in NJ, decades ago. He was absolutely amazing! One of the finest card men ever. And I heard that said by one of his oldest friends, that just happens to be considered the greatest coin man ever, David Roth. I remember Roth just sitting there beaming watching his old buddy work.

I remember once asking him about noted card shark, and old friend, DOC. I asked him how good was he? His response was in just 2 words, “Very good!”

RIP
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1102 Posts

Profile of Nash
That is so awesome you got to see him work in person.
I've always held Darwin's work at a high regards. Man what a legend
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
Luckily for you, I only have
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Nice work Nash - a fitting tribute indeed.

He will be sorely missed, I still cannot believe it.

A true genius.
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia