The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Bob Kline twist & shout illusion (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Deluxesuperman
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Deluxesuperman
Hello everyone, I am wondering if anyone has any information about the Twist & Shout illusion built by Bob Kline?
Also looking for photos and videos of this illusion. The only magician I know who has performed it is Ben Ulin, he performed it back in the 90s and then sold it.
If anyone has performed this illusion please let me know.

Thanks.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I wasn't Bob Kline's best friend, but I knew him relatively well. I bought a few items from him, one of which was a stage illusion, but I never heard him mention this Twist & Shout illusion. I believe you if you said he built it but again, he never mentioned this whenever we discussed stage illusions.

You learn something new every day.

Gerry
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Hmmm...very mysterious. I've not heard of this one either. The only mention of it in the trade archives is Ben Ulin's ad from April 1991:

Maybe it was more well known under a different name? Could you describe it?

You could reach out to Bob's and Billie Ann's children. They were part of the show back then.
Deluxesuperman
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Here is the link to Ben Ulin performing the twist and shout illusion. Bob Fellows has also performed it at a magic convention. I talked to Bob Fellows about it and he said that he came up with it. It’s a very unique illusion. https://fb.watch/nDT28DA-_g/?mibextid=v7YzmG
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Well you don't see that every day. What an interesting twist. Smile

So with the swords it was performed under "The Indestructible Woman". Nice tip of the hat to P.T. Selbit's Indestructible Girl.

I missed it the first time around, but it looks like Bob Fellows was selling it a couple years later.

Deluxesuperman
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Are there any photos of P.T. Selbit indestructible girl illusion or any information about it? When I try looking it up, nothing comes up sadly.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
This description is from The Magic Wand and Magical Review by George Johnson, March - December 1923.

Programme.
THE INDESTRUCTIBLE GIRL.
P. T. SELBIT, AT MASKELYNE'S.

Introducing a young lady assistant, the Illusionist states that, during the war—and while engaged under the Red Cross banner— she proved immune to all forms of destruction. A metal cabinet is exhibited, it is of very little depth, but is fitted with a concertina-like arrangement at the rear. A heavily spiked panel is also submitted for examination, and this is fitted to the back of the cabinet. The lady goes in the contrivance and, by means of a winch, the spiked panel is slowly brought towards the front door, through which the steel spikes are at length seen to protrude. Four long pikes are now thrust through in addition, and then small panels are opened at the top and bottom to disclose the smiling features of the victim—and her dainty feet.

The panels are again closed and the apparatus is expanded to its original dimensions, the main door is opened, and the assistant makes her exit without any visible signs of the assumed discomforting performance. A good Illusion, in which carefully thought out details reflect much credit on the ingenious inventor.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
For perspective see this lithograph:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-......pup=true