The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Snakes in a Box (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Not sure if there are any better 'gags' than jumping snakes for this...

But I was wondering if anywhere sells the snakes that jump out - in simple boxes. Like a yellow 'present'/gift type box?

As I was thinking of a sort of bank night - with three boxes. Two with snakes and one with sweeties.

Obs - I get the scares, the kid always wins. Maybe it's a reverse bank night effect?

Is two snakes boxes the best - or is there some other jumping type effect - like [making this up] spiders that would work for one of the booby prizes.

Thanks
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Profile of The Duster
The reason I wondered if they come in gift boxes. It would be nice to have three gift boxes to chose from. One Yellow, one Red, one Green [for example.

Much better than a choice of peanut butter, sweeties, or a red gift box... hmm
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
These cans can be decorated any way you want, and they are currently out of stock (get on the wait list and get emailed when they are coming back in stock) but these cans are awesome.

https://wolfsmagic.com/wolfsmagichomepag......y-fakey/

I have many of these cans and use them for different effects (Mike Bent's No Snake Snake Can is one of the them) . Very well made and will last a long time!
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Here's another routine that works great with the wolf snakey-fakey.
https://practical-magic.com/products/cakes-adders

These only come in parlor size now, the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uVW6evmTpE

is the poker size, which I don't think are available anymore.

I put a label on the can "Candles", and say I always forget how many candles I have in the can, and count the cards like in the routine and the last one is a pic of a snake instead of a candle. By the time you get to the end of the routine, everyone will think a snake will jump out of the can where the candles are supposed to be, but when you open the can, nothing jumps out, and the can is empty, I say, "well, at least there wasn't a snake in the can..." Then release the snake....huge reaction on the relaxed beat.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I would think that Insta-Snake by Chance Wolf from Wolf's Magic (not to be confused with Dan Wolfe from Smoky Mountain Magic) would be a good solution.

You could make any box into a snake box (that jumps at the performer), on the fly.

https://wolfsmagic.com/wolfsmagichomepag......a-snake/

Unfortunately, they are currently out of stock.

But you might be able to find them used, or go on the wait list.

-----

Another idea.

Samuel Patrick Smith has a routine where spring snakes pop out of a dove pan, instead of a cake (in his classic book, "Big Laughs for Little People"). So, they don't always have to pop out of a can or wand.

If you wanted to use regular spring snakes, you could keep them in kids lunch kit, that is latched shut. Or, find a way to do that with a regular box.

BTW, Jef Eaton at Kandu Magic makes & sells personalized lunch boxes, labeled as a magic kit.

https://kandumagic.com/current-products/my-first-magic-set

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Thanks - the instant snakes look good.

I have emailed wolf to see if they are coming back any time soon

Thanks everyone

I will look into the other items too - and pop back when I have had a ponder

Thanks again all x
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
You might want to check AMAZON. They are offering a wooden box with a sliding lid that has a scary spider jump out and land on the victim's hand. Today's special price is anywhere from $7 to $12 depending upon the seller.
SkipWay
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of SkipWay
Why not build your own? Cut down a Pringles can to fit inside of a Dollar Tree gift box. Glue the Pringles can into the box flush with the back. Drill a small hole through the box and opposite sides of the can. Insert the snake and hold it in place with a 4" cotter pin or length of wire. Insert the cotter pin through the back of the box and through the can. Tie a loop of fishing line through the cotter pin large enough for your finger. Pulling the cotter pin releases the snake. Glue four cans into a larger box with longer trip wires and you have multiple snakes.

Tie your snakes through a small hole to the bottom of the can. This keeps the snake from flying into the audience which ALWAYS causes pandemonium with children.

My favorite source for Spring Snakes is Andrew Remnet's www.springsnakes.com. I compress his large 42" snakes into 4" tall Pringles cans.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1183 Posts

Profile of Russo
Your right Skipway, you do have more fun when you can make your own.