The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Steampunk block escape (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
It has been a long time since I created something new, but since I didn't have any block escape tricks, I created one, and I went with a steampunk theme. I have spent ages on this, and it was a really difficult process. Here are some pictures (clickable for large version):

Block in position within cabinet:

All props separate:

Empty cabinet:

A couple of closeups of the block:

It is all designed in CAD and 3D printed in black plastic, then painted and glued together. There are really many parts, in total around 60 (!) different pieces. Painting and assembling was painstaking.

I'm not sure I want the rod to be just a rod, I am considering making it more like a sword with a handle on one end. It was also not painted, not because it would not be possible, but paint makes it more rough and sticky, so for now I just left it as is.

The cabinet and rod are examinable any time, the block only after the trick. Under the right circumstances it could be examinable also before the trick, but I think it is OK that it can be examined after. Leaving it with a spectator for too long could probably reveal something, but I think it should be pretty safe.

Another feature is that before the escape, the cabinet can be freely turned around, showing the block through both of the arrow-shaped openings/windows in the cabinet.

I even made a video to show the trick. Not by any means perfect, but about as good as I am able to make it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YNa17b4kNo
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Very cool indeed. Excellent work my friend. Thank you for sharing.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Very nice mroek! Love the look and amazing detail you put into this.... beautiful deceptive prop. Thanks for sharing.
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Thanks, guys! Happy that you like it!
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Quite remarkable work. I have a suggestion. I think the block needs much more contrast when seen through the window. As it is painted like the tube it does not show up as a separate item. Were you to paint it in very contrasting style and colors I think the trick would present itself even more effectively.
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Thanks, Rhett! I don't really disagree with you, but steampunk color schemes are typically quite muted, and I also wanted it to look somewhat worn and old. That's why I only did one coat of paint, which does provide the somewhat worn look.

That said, I could probably have found more contrasting colors for the block while still keeping it within the typical steampunk color realm, but painting it again now is too difficult. It was all painted as separate parts and then glued together. Painting it in the assembled state would be really hard, so the only option would be to remake the block from scratch. I'm not sure that would be worth the effort, to be honest.
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
That was awesome. The block escape is one of my favorite mechanical type tricks and I love Steampunk design as well. The combination is great!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
More outstanding work mroek. You're a true artist.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
-Z-
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of -Z-
That's a beautiful piece. Well done.
mroek
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of mroek
Thanks for the kind words, guys!