The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Sweating during performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Hi all, how do you deal with excessive sweating during performance?
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Bandana, cool towel, or a prescription for Glycopyrrolate, which will counteract your hyperhidrosis.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I have put a bandana in my back pocket (I learned the hard way). I reach a level where I have to reach for it frequently. I did an hour at a wedding recently and at the end of the gig my coat felt wet.

I am going to look into this medication, I had no idea.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7580 Posts

Profile of RNK
I always carry some sort of cloth. Agree, it is very annoying when this happens but what I find worse is when my props, especially gimmicked props, such as card boxes and cards get moist and ruined after a gig where it's super hot/humid. Very frustrating!!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
If you are overweight (like I am) check with your doctor. Losing weight or getting your blood pressure under control may be the answer.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1358 Posts

Profile of danfreed
What are you wearing when you are sweating? Maybe you can wear different clothing?
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
So I used to wear coat and long sleeves. I recently ditched the long sleeve dress shirt for these black lightweight spandex shirts from Costco.

I actually had performance last night and I tried to slow down my routines and I think that is the solution because I didn't hardly sweat at all.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Sweating is perfectly natural and yes speaking to a medical professional can help.

But I also think there is a lot we can do to reduce the sweats,
- Is it nerves related, understanding what nerves are and how we can reduce them really help. I personal find having everything ready the night before and arriving early really helps with nerves,
- Look at clothing choice, not only things like short sleeves but natural breathable fabrics.
- Hydrate with water.

Using deodorant is recommend but but really make sure its the right one for you. I use a very natural deodorant. I also use something like Lavender oil. so as I get warm the oil vapourate and smell nice.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7580 Posts

Profile of RNK
For me it's not nerves. It's just how my body is. I know some say nerves (anxiety) never goes away no matter how experienced you are. I believe that to be true but depends on the performing environment. For me, I never get nervous or anxious when performing in close-up situations at this point in my journey and many I still usually sweat which is related to the air temperature where I am. Now, when I am doing a stage/stand-up show, yes, the nerves (anxiety) is always there and so is the sweat, lol!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Presarian
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Presarian
I explain sometimes its the excitement to audience
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I've improved a bit when it comes to sweating. I have a pocket checklist before I start my walkaround set, this helps ease my nerves that I might be forgetting something. I also changed the way I arrive at venues, I now go directly to the contact and tell them I've arrived and I just need to put my case down and I'll be right back to start the fun. Before, I made an effort to stash my case and prep for walkaround before introducing myself and I realized this made me a bit uncomfortable.

I'm also starting to ditch my magicians jacket, but the downside with that is you lose about 5 or so pocket space.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I just read an article by Bruce Kavler - he puts Vasoline on his eyebrows to keep sweat from dripping into his eyes
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I haven't had this issue since I did 2 things 1) changed my wardrobe 2) slowed down my act.
AlxRosekoski
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of AlxRosekoski
If you you struggle later with sweating again, take prescription Drysol. You just use it a couple nights of the week before going to bed, and you just rinse it off in the morning. You can use it on hands or wherever else you might sweat.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I increased my salt intake and my sweating moderated. If you can't do that because of medical reasons, address the underlying problem - often a potassium deficiency.
UKNeil
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of UKNeil
It might sound strange but what is your diet like?
Chamber of Wallets
http://www.chamberofwallets.com