The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: My first Stage Mentalism performance (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Hi all,

I did a recent stage performance as a teacher for my school with a mixture of magic and mentalism. The mentalism begins from 5.10 and the sticker on my face I accidentally left from the previous trick! "Ang Bao" is the name of the red money envelopes given as gifts in Chinese cultures (I am in Singapore) - so I'm using those instead of envelopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai2WbDXU2M0

I don't have much stage experience, and even less with stage mentalism, so I would welcome feedback.

My own notes for improvement:
A bit too much dead-time during a few parts with the envelope routine - I didn't have as much rehearsal time as I would have liked! I should have gotten the participants on stage to verbally confirm the numbers on the envelopes before the big reveal - they were written in thick black grease pencil, but not visible on the screen. I should have perhaps given the participants more time to change their mind etc to strengthen the effect. I should have also provided some premise for how I was influencing them in my script, such as "everybody chooses number 2..." etc.
Zuko_magic
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Zuko_magic
Considering your lack of stage experience I think you did incredibly well.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Very good!

And honestly better performance than some experienced people I’ve seen.

Keep doing what you’re doing.

Mentalism can often drag, it’s a fine balance between creating suspense, making sure everyone understands what’s going on, audience management, and wanting to carefully demonstrate the fairness of the procedure.
Adam Meier
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Adam Meier
This was a good performance. I really liked that you did some "classic" methods in mentalism and not went for the easy way of electronic. I also liked the personal touch of having pictures of the teachers. Great job.
durian-red
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of durian-red
David, don't let your relative inexperience fool you. You are a very natural and entertaining performer. Charming and likeable too. Loved your magic as well. Keep it up!
ATXTimeLord
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of ATXTimeLord
The entire performance was beautifully done.. Thank you for sharing..

mG
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3268 Posts

Profile of 252life
You did fantastic! Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on future performances.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3268 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2023, durian-red wrote:
David, don't let your relative inexperience fool you. You are a very natural and entertaining performer. Charming and likeable too. Loved your magic as well. Keep it up!

^^
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Thank you all for the lovely comments. I should be clear that I did enjoy my own performance as well, just always looking for ways to improve.
FaroFaroFaro
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of FaroFaroFaro
Just wanted to congratulate you on a very entertaining performance! Well done!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4008 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Since you asked for feedback, here goes:

First: This was a magic show, not a mentalism performance. You can't open with a series of magic effects, do a mentalism effect and then call it mentalism. From an audience perspective it's all magic...and the mentalism effect falls into the category of mental magic. Having said that...

Second: The show was smooth and engaging. And...

Third: The notion of matching the volunteers with their pictures was clever and quite charming. You drew the right kind of response from the audience.

Thank you for sharing this.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2023, David Thiel wrote:
Since you asked for feedback, here goes:

First: This was a magic show, not a mentalism performance. You can't open with a series of magic effects, do a mentalism effect and then call it mentalism. From an audience perspective it's all magic...and the mentalism effect falls into the category of mental magic.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly.

It was a nice magic performance (hence using the term trick) but lets be clear that's what it was. Seems like there is no mentalism left in this forum anymore. Everyone just praises magic.

The red sticker on the cheek became distracting, but not as much as that photographer, and Don Ho.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it was a hit with your students.

Your self-critique is very good.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
Very nice.
Chaikuni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Chaikuni
You did great hermano
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
279 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
I enjoyed the performance I agree with the comments, but at you get better every performance, I enjoyed watching and learned some tips from you and the other comments here, thanks for sharing
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Your stage presence was very good and like many have mentioned the routines were great but not pure mentalism. There is no suspension of disbelief, or actual belief when mentalism is mixed with magic, its just another trick. Still entertaining but if you want the true impact of mentalism it should be seperated completely from anything magicky.
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2023, David Fillary wrote:
Hi all,

I did a recent stage performance as a teacher for my school with a mixture of magic and mentalism. The mentalism begins from 5.10 and the sticker on my face I accidentally left from the previous trick! "Ang Bao" is the name of the red money envelopes given as gifts in Chinese cultures (I am in Singapore) - so I'm using those instead of envelopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai2WbDXU2M0

I don't have much stage experience, and even less with stage mentalism, so I would welcome feedback.

As someone with very little stage experience myself I have to say your presentation and awareness/confidence in your routine are excellent, good job.
aoakden
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of aoakden
Really good job. Thank you for sharing with everyone. Getting out on the stage is the best thing you can do for your performance. Getting the experience under your belt. Its one thing performing in front of a mirror and a whole other beast in front of a live crowd.