The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: Book Care (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
Hello, I'm interested in learning more about the care of old books. I have some in my magic collection and would like to keep them in good shape! Also, what do people feel about putting mylar or some other type of plastic cover over the dj on their books?
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
I would recommend finding a copy of The Conservation of Magic by Leo Behnke. This would give you a lot of information about preserving your library and magic collection. I saw a copy on Midwest Magic's site for $37.50.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
As a comic collector, I think many of the methods for the preservation of comic books can be associated with regular books.

Plastic covers would be a great choice...but make sure that they wouldn't bend the Dust Jacket.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
Thanks guys, that's a good place to start...I hate the idea of my books falling apart over time!
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
Just so you know. Leo helped David Copperfield with his library.
Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
I didn't know that...is that recent? Does he still work with David Copperfield?
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
No. He worked for Copperfield for a couple of years to help him catalog some large collections that had been aquired. I met Leo at this years Magic Collectors Association. He is a very nice person to talk with.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Barajista:

For what it's worth, I second Bob K's recommendation of Leo's book. There are other books out there but none as good as Leo's which have a distinctly magic bent.

And, as Bob says, Leo's a great guy and a good guy to work with to boot. I've known him for about 12 years, and in the early 1990's we worked together as consultants to DC for his library (doing different things) for a few months. He stayed on (lucky man!) and I went to graduate school (not so lucky man).

Mylar dj protectors are generally a good thing. Brodart is the name brand many people use. If you really really want to do it right, then buy the archival-quality protectors from Brodart. If you're on a budget, there is no need to get archival dj protectors unless you're protecting older, high-acid dust wrappers. Put another way, you probably wouldn't see the difference in the level of protection between the archival and non-archival protectors in your lifetime.

Hope this is of some help.

Clay
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
Clay,
If you keep agreeing with things I say, people might come to the wrong conclusion and think I have a clue what I'm talking about. Smile
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Either that or maybe we'll end up on the same small bus to the sanitorium...
bkentner
View Profile
New user
Davenport, Nebraska
61 Posts

Profile of bkentner
I hear the view is nice.
Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
I'm glad I asked. Thanks all for the wit and useful information! Hey Clay, you seem to be everywhere...how do you do it?! I'm lucky if I find time for a couple of quick posts a day, and everytime I come across yours I think you must be a fast typer! By the way, thanks for the specifics on cover material...time to go shopping! Sound like the Behnke books has come in on the outside in the stretch and is moving to the top of my buy list!
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
You're welcome, Barajista. Some might think I don't have a life, but I do and yes I type fairly quickly (with the concomitant typos). Just trying to meaningfully contribute (of course, "meaningful contribution" is a decision only a reader can make) to this board and to Genii Forum as I believe that both boards are valuable assets to our community.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2736 Posts

Profile of sethb
I second Clay's suggestion of the Brodart clear plastic covers. You may want to try your local public library -- if you don't have too many books, the librarians may even cover them for you, just for the cost of the materials. A used book store is another good source for Brodart cover material.

The stuff isn't hard to work with, but there is a knack to using it and doing a neat job -- it just takes practice.

Whatever you do, don't use the stretchy pliable stuff. It can become sticky and gummy, and leave a permanent residue on your books. I ruined a nice set of Tarbells that way. Good luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC