The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Puppet Pet Carrier (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Greetings!
My dog puppet, Bernie, made a return to my magic show for Preschools. In the past I've always stored him in the case with the rest of the magic and brought him out when needed. This year I kept him in a small pet carrier. Of course, as the kids entered they saw it and immediately wanted to know what's inside and is it a bunny? (I can't tell you, it's a surprise!)

When it was time I made a big showing of setting the carrier on the magic case while talking to him through the door as one might talk to a real pet. Such as, "Whose my happy boy? Are you my happy boy? Yes, you are! Are you ready to play?" Really playing it up. At the reveal most of the kids were a bit stunned, not exactly knowing what it was, if it was real, etc. The teachers would laugh because they too thought it would be a real animal and realized I had fooled them. Once I started the routine the kids happily played along and had a good time. After the show I didn't hear any disappointments about it not being a bunny or not being a real dog. Some of the younger kids were still asking if Bernie was real or not.

In the planning stages, I wasn't sure how the reaction would be, but I was very pleased with the results. Getting the teachers to chuckle was a plus. The carrier became another "bit of business" to add flavor to the show. I doubt if I'll ever use Bernie again without the carrier.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1359 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Good idea. It could also "perform" out of the carrier, depending on the type of carrier, or you could modify it if needed. I was going to do that but it didn't work with what I am doing, so I have it perform out of one of those insulated cloth grocery bags with a zipper top opening, kind of like a rabbit in hat, but with more space for props for the puppet to use. The bag is a bit floppy (no...don't say that's what she said!), so I will try some gatorboard or something on the sides.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
When I got my penguin Frostbite from Axtell, I bought a cooler, and mounted a flange on the bottom, so I could attached it to a table base or mic stand. Frostbite sits on top of cooler when he performs and props can fit in the cooler as well with him. Keeps him clean and "cool" (he is from the south pole).