The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: My Silly Billy Top Hat disintegrated! (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
I purchased a Silly Billy Top Hat several years ago -- one of the cartoonish, oversized ones. I've always loved using it in my library kid shows. I haven't handled it in about a year -- it's just been sitting atop a shelf with a cardboard tube in it to help it retain its shape. Earlier this evening I retrieved it for a show I'm doing in the morning and it seemed floppier than I remembered. In the process of examining it, I realized that the inner foam and outer cloth material has disintegrated -- badly. Much of the gray lining is like dust, the hat and brim are unable to hold their shape, and the whole thing is leaking pieces everywhere. Is this to be expected after a few years? Has anyone else experienced this??
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The same thing happened to me. I only had the hat as a gag, covering the kid's eyes when placed on an audience volunteer. Luckily, this is the time of the year to find a better, more durable replacement. Halloween shops will have formed rayon hats that are meant for adults. The hat will still be too big for the kid, covering their eyes when placed on their head. It won't degrade over time, like a foam hat will.
MTaylor2002
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of MTaylor2002
Thanks, Alan - I feel a little better now. And the idea of shopping for one at a Halloween supply store is a great tip!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7615 Posts

Profile of RNK
Interesting, I have had mine for many years and have used it in many shows and it's still the same as the day I bought it.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1246 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2023, RNK wrote:
Interesting, I have had mine for many years and have used it in many shows and it's still the same as the day I bought it.

Same. I bought 2, one for a back up, and neither have had the issue mentioned above.
Billybonkers
View Profile
Loyal user
Diamond Bar L.A
252 Posts

Profile of Billybonkers
Mine also deteriorated and bits were coming off of the lining and foam. I had to throw it away
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
He's a good guy reach out to him and he'll help you out
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
I wonder if it is a weather problem. Back in Texas I never had problems with props disintegrating, but after emigrating to the Philippines I have had numerous props fall apart. Foam is short lived. Anything glued (like felt on a closeup pad) came apart. Rubber items (balloons, rubber bands, coin thru rubber) all get brittle and snap. The temperature here is always 85 F (30C) and 85% humidity. Welcome to the jungle...

I ended up making my own giant hat. I bought a piece of felt for a dollar and sewed a giant top hat. Cute hat, probably not amazingly sturdy, but only a dollar. ????
GalloMagic
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of GalloMagic
Mine disintegrated as well, after owning it for about a year