The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: Looking for an effect to stop traffic! Please help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magicianthailand
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Magicianthailand
Hello everyone, I am looking for an effect I can do to stop footfall traffic in a busy market environment so that we can peek interest for my flyers team to promote my show.

Basically something visual that I can keep repeating as we walk along but long enough to capture attention.

Something like yigal mesikas tarantula floating ring/coin but a little more visual!

Something passive but impressive!

I have been racking my brain but can’t come up with something that fits the bill.

Appreciate any ideas. Thanks
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Why not just hand them out? If it is football traffic, they probably have football on their mind and won't pay attention anyways.
Magicianthailand
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Magicianthailand
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
Why not just hand them out? If it is football traffic, they probably have football on their mind and won't pay attention anyways.

Not football. Footfall - basically people walking around a shopping mall.

We are trying to just hand them out however here in Thailand people are bombarded with the Muay Thai boxing team that are constantly flyering. Unfortunately they think we are trying to promote the boxing so they say no before they know what it is. This is why I want to make it different by performing something magical to catch their attention.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I apologize for misreading your post. Thank you for taking time and explaining.
Not being very familiar with your culture, I do not know how my ideas would be perceived, though a couple of thoughts a simple vanish and reappearing silk; a dancing silk; maybe a spring puppet?
Though the floating ring is visual, if where you are demonstrating it is busy, how well will the hook up last?
You mention a flyers team, what are the capable of?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about Needle Through Balloon and/or Needle Through Arm?

Maybe a Torn and Restored Card type effect where the torn pieces are deposited into a recepticle and a match tossed in to set off Flash Paper?
You could have your show information printed on the face of the restored card and other cards to give to those who have witnessed your mini-performance?
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
846 Posts

Profile of oombob
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Thumb tip with silk...appearing and disappearing. Chris Capehart talks about how that's he started on streets of New York...one simple trick over and over. Bright silk is flashy and catches eye.

I've used to gather crowds when I busk and works great
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Anemoi
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, MA
53 Posts

Profile of Anemoi
Pitchmen seem to have great success stopping footfall traffic by using money. Check out Don Driver's Building a Tip DVD.
AlxRosekoski
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of AlxRosekoski
If you do visual tricks for a couple of people, more people will be wondering what’s going on, attracting the attention of even more people, and the cycle keeps on going. Make sure if other people look over or take interest in your tricks that you address them because they will be way more likely to stay.