The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: Ibm convention 2024 - Tacoma, wa (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
LONGBRANCH, WA (1hr from seattle)
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
I'm stoked to see that the ibm convention for 2024 will be in Tacoma, WA 45 min away from me!!! The early registration just began... I need reasons to explain to my wife why I wanna drop $375 on going to this convention +membership(I am not yet a member)
Can yall tell me what you've gotten out of previous conventions? Reasons why it's awesome kinda thing?
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Honestly, it’s hard to put into words exactly what I’ve “gotten out of it” but I can say you learn a lot. Also… in 2022 I went to magic live and IBM at magic live I GOT TO MEET lots of people, many of which are big names and people I have looked up to in magic for years. However at the IBM convention I GOT TO KNOW some incredible people many of which are big names and people I have looked up to for years. ( this year I had to skip magic live but I was at IBM and I already registered for 2024) IBM has started referring to their convention as the “family reunion” with good reason. Also, join the IBM as soon as you finish reading this!!! You should join whether you go to the convention or not and also, the convention will be less money if you already joined Smile hope to see you in Tacoma! ….

Ps register sooner rather than later this year is most definitely going to sell out.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Thanks Vincent! I wish I had extra cash right now I would do all of that... definitely been wanting to join IBM for sure... just a matter of $ right now... all my money is sinking into a temple I'm building for multipurpose gatherings as well as magic shows... I'm excited to have my own stage I can build secret traps into etc.
JayF
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of JayF
Does anybody know who will be headlining the convention?
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
The only name I saw so far was Lance Burton will be doing a teen seminar for the first two days...
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
If it’s still something your are considering I would register asap the price goes up on August 15th 2023 (I think it goes up by $100) so the best price to register is now.

Ps sooner is also better than later because everyone fully expects the 2024 IBM convention in Tacoma to completely sell out.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Can't yet seem to convince the wife just yet... but I'll be on it asap....
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Lance Burton's Teen Seminar happens every year. My teen got to go last year in Atlanta and loved it. The deadline for performer and lecturer applications is in November, so I doubt you'll see much about acts until after that.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
I wish I was still a teenager... wait nevermind lol but I would like to hang out with Lance...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Come to the Abbott's Get Together in Michigan. Lance has been there the past four years and always around to talk with.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Richard, Colon, Michigan might be a tad far for him to travel to if he's having an issue with funds to go to Tacoma, which is just 45 minutes down the road. Lance is an outstanding magician and human, and he attends many magic events each year. I assume Yoik post is asking for people to help him find reason to tell his Wife why attending the I.B.M. convention will benefit them in the future.

Here's a few Yoik Yasi,

Access to the membership area of their website which has more than fifty videos of the IBM JAM. JAM is Just About Magic and was a series produced by Alex Zander, the youngest President ever. Magicians from around the globe did lectures, inspirational talks, business discussions, and straight up trick teaching. This series is a Master Class in magic and is worth the price of membership alone.

Monthly magazine, The Linking Ring, which is the largest and most prestigious magic magazine in the world. Each month there is enough new magic offered to make a show. They give product reviews, biographies of living and past magicians, convention coverage, and more.

Access to Ask Alexander, the digital database of magic books. If you wanted to join at just the Bronze level as a non member of the I.B.M. that's $7.99 a month. That alone is nearly $100.00 and instead, you get access included so you can view ever single issue of The Linking Ring since it's first issue in 1926!

FREE DOWNLOAD OF ROBERTO GIOBBI’S INTRODUCTION TO CARD MAGIC! Through the generosity of the I.B.M. Endowment and Development Fund and Roberto Giobbi, one of the world’s leading teachers of card magic, all I.B.M. members may download this special edition eBook. Using a powerful combination of detailed text, photographs, and video, this 155-page manual is an excellent resource for learning card magic. Follow this book step by step, and you will be able to give an impressive and baffling demonstration of card magic. Even advanced card workers will benefit from Giobbi’s thorough methods of teaching magic.

Access to belong to RING 2100. It's an online Ring where members meet for magic discussions and fellowship in the world's only completely online I.B.M. Ring run by Alan Fisher, Ryan Pilling, and David McDonnell.

AFFORDABLE PERFORMERS' LIABILITY INSURANCE (U.S. and Canadian Members Only) 
We are able to offer Performer's Liability Insurance to members and Rings through a blanket I.B.M. policy running from August 15 of this year to August 15 the following year. Coverage is an excellent $1,000,000 (that's one million) per occurrence and $2,000.000 per event aggregate from a national insurance broker and an A.M. Best "A" rated carrier. Premiums are based on the member's annual gross receipts.

GROUP INSURANCE BENEFITS TO I.B.M. MEMBERS(U.S. Members only) The I.B.M. has entered into an exclusive agency agreement with Association Health Programs (“AHP”), a duly licensed insurance broker located in Overland Park, Kansas, to furnish group insurance benefits to I.B.M. members. AHP offers access to only national “A” (or higher) rated insurance carriers which provide a large variety of offerings

I could probably list a lot more, but the prime reason for you is to be able to attend the convention next year in Tacoma. This is the first time it has ever been held in the Pacific Northwest, and most likely it will be a long time before we see it again in our part of the continent. I attend the convention every year, and have never failed to learn new things to help my magic career. I have also made new friends every year and love seeing old friends as well. The gala shows alone are worth the price of admission. This past year almost every show, six shows, received a standing ovation. The coolest part is if you had attended you would have had ample opportunity to meet the stars of those shows and hang out with them, ask them questions, and maybe even make a new friend.

The next price increase for registration isn't until May 1st, so you have plenty of time to think about it and raise the funds, you will just be missing out on The Linking Ring, but you can always use the Ask Alexander website once you do join to see what you missed!

You can find out more at wwww.IBMconvention.com and I hope to see you in Tacoma. It's the first time I can drive to the convention in a just a few hours!

Cheers,
Shawn

p.s. Jason mentioned "The deadline for performer and lecturer applications is in November, so I doubt you'll see much about acts until after that." But that's really a deadline for Presenters wishing to give informational talks at the convention in the Inspiration Sessions. There is no deadline for the booking of Performers. It's not done via submission. The have a Talent Booker that seeks out the artist that will be presenting all year round.
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
I went to my first IBM convention a few years ago when it was in Scottsdale, AZ. First off you get to enjoy a ton of magic, live and in person as it's meant to be enjoyed. Secondly, you get to learn from some of the greatest minds in magic. Thirdly, the atmosphere is energizing and it's so cool to be able to meet people from all walks of life that have the same interest as you. Fourth, with all the different seminars there is something for everyone and even lets you explore areas of magic that you never thought you would be interested in. Fifth, you could walk into an elevator and meet one of your favorite magicians face to face. Six, Shawn Farquhar will be there and hopefully he will grace us with his stabbed card with sword routine again. I'll be there this coming summer!