The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Best One Way Deck? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
reno55
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of reno55
Need to pick up a one way deck or a deck I can easily make a one way deck.......

Would love to hear recommendations
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
723 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
There are known variations in many standard decks that can be used as one way markers.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=728327
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
A favorite of mine is the Bicycle League Back deck, which is usually for sale on the Big Auction site or from other sources in the $10-15 price range.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Phoenix Brand
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Steve Dela's Night Flight deck has a subtle one-way back marking, reminiscent of the old League Back design.

All DMC Elites decks from the Rouge version onward thru v.4 and v.5 are one-way on both backs and faces. The backs are rather hard for old eyes to read quickly IMHO; but the faces, while similar to the Phoenix's, are easier to spot at-a-glance due to slight exaggeration of the principle employed.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Phoenix is my favorite. Deceptive and easy to see at a glance.
kardillusions
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, AB
544 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Circle-back Tally Ho cards are a one-way design as well.
Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Instagram: @hermitmagicmag
Subscribe today!
TheGonzo
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of TheGonzo
A sewing needle can scrape off any old spot of ink if you're so adventurous to mark your own. I hope it's not considered crude... but here's a quick mark you can make on one corner of a Rider Back design.

Click here to view attached image.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
There are Red Bicycle League Back Playing Cards currently available for $11.95.

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2023, Deckstacker wrote:
A favorite of mine is the Bicycle League Back deck, which is usually for sale on the Big Auction site or from other sources in the $10-15 price range.

Like I mentioned a while back, IMNSHO those beautiful old League Back decks still rule! Keep on biking! (smile)
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Yes, mentioned but no link to purchase or picture for reference

Quote:
On Aug 21, 2023, Deckstacker wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2023, Deckstacker wrote:

Like I mentioned a while back, IMNSHO those beautiful old League Back decks still rule! Keep on biking! (smile)
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3352 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Agreed- the league deck is the one to purchase for this.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
A couple of additions to the list of one-way decks:

1. As can be seen plainly in the online promo video, GoGo Cuerva's Locator Deck (Bicycle Rider Back) certainly qualifies. A purchase also comes with several tricks.
2. Phill Smith's newly released Elysian Duets decks similarly sport one-way markings that can now be read from a tight ribbon spread--a major improvement over their predecessor DMC Elites, IMNSHO.

PS - If anyone can point me toward another commonly available one-way deck besides the two mentioned above that can be read from a tight ribbon spread, I'd very much like to know about it.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I was just going through my copy of Sh-h-h It's a Secret and realized it contained several interesting effects that specifically used the League Back cards as their method. It's worth a look if you like one way back tricks.

Quote:
On Aug 21, 2023, Kaliix wrote:
There are Red Bicycle League Back Playing Cards currently available for $11.95.

~Daniel J. Boorstin
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
498 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
I like the idea of the One Way deck in this video (start 4:10) from 52cards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcZVRxnHUqQ&t=3s
MudMedic
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
41 Posts

Profile of MudMedic
Superior Silver Arrows are a great one way deck.
Fugue
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Fugue
The Ask Alexander: Cambric deck from the Conjuring Arts Research Center is also a one-way deck. Though fellow magicians will likely immediately notice the one-way design, laypeople may miss it.

https://store.conjuringarts.org/product/......cambric/

Also, hello! Long time lurker, first time poster.
badwords
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of badwords
Https://houseofplayingcards.com/collecti......x3-human

I have gotten two of these decks, and with both of them the slanted bars of orange in the borders have not been symmetrical. It is amazing because you can see the discrepency of reversed cards from the side of the deck squared up.