The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Best flame productions (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
LONGBRANCH, WA (1hr from seattle)
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
A kid asked me at my recent show "are you going to do a trick where you make a fireball in your hands then something appears or disapears?"

I had the perfect answer for him
"YES I AM!!!.... NEXT YEAR!"

AND for sure I've been wanting already to add some fire to my preformance...

What are your favorite ways to make fire a part of a production or vanish? Flash paper? Some flamethrower device? I have no idea where to start...
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You have to be careful about fire effects. Most venues won't allow fire, even vanishing/appearing candles. It's not a bad idea to have fire in your repetoire but be sure to check he venue for their policy on fire when booking.
Where the magic begins
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Yeah totally I understand that. I know a few fire performers who get some sort of insurance for that... however at this point I have my own venue... until I do a show somewhere else I'm fine Smile
JonasTryller
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of JonasTryller
In my children's performance right now, I hang up a (flash) envelope early in the show. I have a few jokes and tricks with fire at the end of my show, but right before that an audience member will pick a card and remember it. As the final joke of the show, I breathe fire at the envelope and surprise, surprise, it's their card.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Maybe there is a good book or video out there on fire magic? It would ne great to go through and figure out which form of fire I want to produce and how... cause I have no idea where to start yet still...
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Best comprehensive fire effects are in the ALPHA’S ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF FIRE MAGIC dvd. It has 4 volumes.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Are you doing stage or platform/parlor/club? They are very different as far as fire magic is concerned. For example, most of what Alpha covers is for stage where there is distance from audience members.

For platform/parlor/club, a little goes a long, long way. For example, the way I start smaller shows is with a vanishing candle to flower bouquet in one hand and a lighter with flash paper palmed in the other. The candle is lit with the lighter and the lighter is dropped on my table (flash paper retained in hand). The candle is shown all around with eyes focused on the flame. The other hand reaches over to the flame, ignites the flash paper and drops it with just a little forward arch towards audience (NOT into audience!). Immediately the fingers of hand extinguish the candle flame and the candle transforms into a flower bouquet which is put into a vase. Very practical and it gets a huge response. I then go into a garden of flowers moving on the theme.

If you want to see something bigger, look at how Johnny Ace Palmer starts with flash paper and flaming torch-to-Cane simultaneously with a bouquet production. This is about as big as you want to get for these types of shows.

I like the fire and candles work as they go together naturally. See the works of Michael Lair for some nice effects:

Other fire staples are a flaming wallet (quick transition effect when pulling out a bill, etc.) and dove pans.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:
If you want to see something bigger, look at how Johnny Ace Palmer starts with flash paper and flaming torch-to-Cane simultaneously with a bouquet production. This is about as big as you want to get for these types of shows.

This is a great routine from Jonny ace palmer... never seen his stuff before... he's pretty good and funny too Smile

At about 1min in he does a cane vanish to silk I'm curious if you know where to find this particular effect??? I really like it... very visual...
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2023, YoikYasi wrote:
This is a great routine from Jonny ace palmer... never seen his stuff before... he's pretty good and funny too Smile

If you've never seen Johnny Ace Palmer before, you are in for a real treat. Definitely worth the time to watch videos of him on YouTube. He has won the most prestigious awards in magic competition, being a FISM World Champion and recipient of both the IBM Gold Cups and SAM Gold Medal Awards. His DVDs are a must for learning misdirection.

Quote:
On Aug 26, 2023, YoikYasi wrote:
At about 1min in he does a cane vanish to silk I'm curious if you know where to find this particular effect??? I really like it... very visual...

That is the classic vanishing cane to silks effect which can be done with any good vanishing cane, e.g. Fantasio's, Walsh's, Harakan's. Though, for starting out, Fantasio's is the best as there is no chance of it cutting your hands. See here for history: https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/st......ntasio/.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2023, YoikYasi wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:

The rabbit from the hat production he does is very similar to the version I had mentioned to you on another thread , the version in Alan Shaxon's book, 'The Sophisticated Sorcerer' , written by Alan Shaxon, Scott Penrose, Stephen Short.

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2023, YoikYasi wrote:
At about 1 min in he does a cane vanish to silk I'm curious if you know where to find this particular effect??? I really like it... very visual...

As Frank mentioned, that's the classic Walsh cane to silks , you can do it with any vanishing cane. Here is Fantasio performing it:

The movement he does where he raises the cane up and then brings his hands down as the cane transforms into the silks makes this look very good. It gives the impression of the cane melting away as it changes into silks.

YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Very cool... yeah I figured it might be a classic vanishing cane... I've yet to use one of those yet. It's on my list to get

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:
If you've never seen Johnny Ace Palmer before, you are in for a real treat. Definitely worth the time to watch videos of him on YouTube. He has won the most prestigious awards in magic competition, being a FISM World Champion and recipient of both the IBM Gold Cups and SAM Gold Medal Awards. His DVDs are a must for learning misdirection.

I just binge watched all I could find on him... I found it interesting a lot of the same jokes which were found hilarious in his more recent Years fell flat with no laughs in he's earlier act in 92 at the mda telethon... I think his younger face just wasn't as comedic as his more aged face... either that or he has learned how to throw his punchlines better? Idk but I was impressed that nobody laughed at a few of his jokes there..
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Circling back around to the flame discussion, there are caps for vanishing canes that incorporate a flash cotton/paper igniter. This allows the performer to create a flash of fire from the end of the cane prior to vanishing. They are especially good for color changing canes where the flash can be used as a silk is produced from the air. Then that silk can be used in the normal way in changing the color of the cane. The cane can then be turned into the two silks. Finally, these three silks can then be used in a twentieth century silk effect. Makes for a very nice, flowing opener.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Very cool I think I saw that in one of the videos above... where does one find such an item?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2023, YoikYasi wrote:
Very cool I think I saw that in one of the videos above... where does one find such an item?

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazin......o-flash/