The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Card Production holdout (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
LONGBRANCH, WA (1hr from seattle)
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
I used the search function but did not come across a good thread about this.

Card production holdouts... or other ditch and steal gimmicks for card production.

I have been doing card productions for at least 30yrs now... the one trick always been up my sleeve... only it's never been up my sleeve before...

I recently started playing around with Jack miller style holdout but I really don't like that style of holdout. I want something that delivers a card either to the back of my hand or into my hand without having to use gravity and drop my arm to the side.

The best kind I can imagine working is the gambler style holdout... hopefully one with not so much noise as I hear they can be noisy...

I want to be able to use this for stage or parlor... to be able to deliver 5-10cards or single cards at once to my hand prepared for production.... behind the hand would be extra cool... and I prefer it to come out of my sleeve not like one of those behind the hand boxes... I find those clunky...

Can you think of a good gimmick for this one? Thank you I appreciate this forum a lot!
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I don't know if this will help you or not.
Those types of holdouts aren't really useful for card productions in a magic act. They are generally designed for use by gamblers sitting at a table to secretly deliver cards to the front of the hand. So you can't use one for a stand up act.
Harry Anderson demonstrates a holdout at the 1:48 spot of this youtube video from an appearance with Martin Lewis on "The John Davidson Show"--andf you'll see why it has to be used while sitting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M535fujwD-Y

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
OK well there is definitely some gimmick being used to deliver cards to the hand of a card producer cause I've seen absolutely impossible card productions if there isn't... maybe someone has an idea of a gimmick that does this? Cause I've seen people producing ridiculous amounts of cards while being able to spread open their fingers in between productions and never drop their arms... producing close to or more than a whole deck of cards single production at a time...
I know there must be a gimmick or 'holdout' putting them in the hand.

The most I can produce one at a time is 14 cards... while still showing both sides of my hand... I got the sleights down bit there is something extra happening in the performances I remember... might have to dig some of those up.

The kind of hold out that makes sense to me is a mechanically controlled holdout like a gamblers holdout... and I don't see why that sort of holdout I'm talking about needs you to sit down for it..
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings; As a Chavez graduate who did the manipulative act for years, I have never used any
type of sleeve gimmick. In the Chavez card fan productions, while one hand is producing fans
of cards, the other is resting and holding the edge of the lapel of the jacket where loads can
be stolen into a previously shown empty hand.

I would suggest Ed Marlo's Card Fan Productions booklet as a good start, and then from there
look at everywhere else you can make a steal of your cards. Watch Lance Burton, on you tube as
his are flawless. It takes years to really master good deceptive card fan productions.

If you are so inclined you may also contact Dale Salwak at the Chavez school of magic, and
if you can find them, the Justin Branch series of manipulative magic. There is a lot of material
out there, it is just finding it all, then the real work starts in putting it into practice.

Just my two cents for what it is worth. Hope it helps
All the Best
Marty
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Thanks martini! Yes I am a big fan of Lance Burton and he has been my inspiration for a good 30yrs on this...
I am totally aware of the time it takes to perfect and 100% down to do the work... I've actually perfected a lot of this already just trying to arrange a routine where I can steal some cards here and there...
So yeah what I'm looking for is exactly this where and how to steal extra cards... cause there must be some stealing happening somewhere in his act. So you are saying most of the steals come from inside the lapel... like a little clip pinned inside the jacket?

I most definitely will be checking out the resources you gave me. I'd like to advance even more on this... it's the one trick I've carried with me forever and always gets reactions from people... I'd like to up my ability with it soon... I did my first magic show in 20yrs this last weekend and my card productions were the one thing I heard one of the skeptic audience members exclaim "wow now that was real" when that kid was pretty much saying "I know how he did that" for every other trick... so feels to me it's my best direction to go since I'm already apparently pretty convincing with it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond here marty!
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Check your inbox for a message.
Marty
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Here is what I was apparently searching for.... I knew it was called a holdout... not up the sleeve tho... since these are sold out ill just make my own like it...

https://www.magicinc.net/collections/tri......cdermott