The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Advices for a card aficionado? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
It's nothing about ambushing anybody. You must have a harsh personality Danny to say something like that. Anybody I approach has been more than accommodating and love it. Maybe where you live People must be mean. But where I live what you are saying is absolutely false and not true and does not happen. To be more clear, I never even say I'm a magician, I just walk up to a person and say, " remind I have something I want to show you or can I show you something real quick or hey check this out". All of which works and I can say honestly I can't even remember if I ever had a rejection. I've had rejections at paid gigs where Danny is absolutely correct in that some people don't want even be bothered with magic, I have actually found about 10 to 15% of the population do not want bothered with magic through my experiences. But for some reason, what I want to put a smile on somebody's face and I'm in a store or out and about and I perform a trick, trust me, if you do it right and present it well they will. Will, thank you. Many times I've had people say you made my day.

Pedrovincent- once you feel comfortable with the effect you have been working on, go out and perform it wherever you can. You need the experience you need to learn about people and it's better to do it that way than trying to get a paid gig when you're not ready. On contrary to what Danny is trying to say, that would be way worse than what I'm telling you.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hogwash.

How many years have you been performing professionally every night? For me it is 35. The most ridiculous thing is you never hear what is said once you leave.

Anyhow if you want to aspire to doing tricks for grocery store clerks then this is a fantastic method.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Great word BTW, Hogwash! I use it all the time as well! I have been performing paid gigs for 17 years. And I don't care how long you have been performing, you are totally wrong. Totally wrong! As long as you have practiced and our confident in the effect, what I suggested is a fantastic way to get experience performing it for people. The grocery store clerks is just one group of people. There are many others when you're out and about that you can perform for. Just get out there and perform for anybody you can to get experience. If you want to do paid gigs. It's great advice.

Not to mention, I had the pleasure to speak with Jon Allen on the phone yesterday, and just like he said, some of the best performers out there are semi-professionals. So don't give me your crap just because you've been performing professionally for 35 years, you think you know everything.

What do you suggest to get more experience performing close-up magic for people Danny?

Share with us your 35 years of experience. Watch videos and learn how to do it? Please! You have to just get out there and perform for people and get the experience. Sorry but you come off like many entertainers (magicians), huge ego and always needing to be right, almost like a grouchy old man.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the clerk isn’t being paid to do a job.

I get it. You are desperate to perform magic so you do it for literally anyone not fast enough to escape you. I’m sure your perception bias tells you they all love it.

If you want to perform for clerks then go ahead and fantasize about how someone this leads to a career.

But once you learn just go out and start getting PAID to do shows. Ummmm duh. You gain experience in doing paid shows that way and don’t have to live out fantasies at the expense of others time.

In other words if you want to become a professional act like one.

Now go ahead and tell me how I always have to be right, all the while exhibiting the exact behavior you rail against lol. Irony much?

Also your idiotic straw man About part time pros has zero to do with anything I’ve said.

But sure you go ahead and tell us all how to become a professional full time when you’ve never done it before. Not knowing something certainly is no bar to bring an expert is it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Oh my, you are so far off base. I mentioned clerks as ONE option. You keep putting emphasis on just clerks which is not the only people I said. Again, you are totally wrong. (And yes, when I was new here I did have the typical ego most magicians have but at least I'm able to admit it and work on being better unlike some others here). If you're not refined and do not have people skills, you'll never get paid gigs. If you do, more than likely they will not go well and you will get no word of mouth referrals from that paid gig you weren't ready for. You are making no sense.

Magic is not just about performing professionally and only performing at a gig.
Performing magic is meant to be done everywhere and anywhere. Your statement that the majority of the public do not want bothered with magic is absurd as well. That truly shows another side of you which is unknowledgeable. The majority of the public do like magic. It's more like a small fraction do not like magic.

And my idiotic straw man statement about part-time magicians that get paid has a lot to do with it because you come on here saying you have 35 years of experience as a professional written in the tone that just because this is the case you know Best. But in this case, your word is totally wrong.

And your advice about learning on the fly through your paid gigs is totally stupid and could be a train wreck for a performer that actually wants to become a professional. Maybe you need to read Steve spill's book, a true Successful professional that has done it for many, many years and see what he wrote in his book about gaining experience, It is exactly what I'm stating here.

So again, don't try to steer people in the wrong way, Pedro You have to get out there as much as you can with whoever you can, put smiles on their face, learn about people, become a better magician to prepare yourself to perform close-up strolling magic as good as you can so you can not just get one paid gig but many.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I get it you are desperate to be right. You need to believe forcing people to watch you do magic is the right thing to do. Yeah, I know very little about walking up to random people and forcing them to watch magic that they haven’t asked to watch. And again, if your goal is to do that type of magic for people, you are absolutely on the right track and you should continue to do that unabated.

But for you to sit and be an expert on how to actually become a full-time professional, seems a little misguided.

And by the way, all tone in a written post is added by the reader. You happen to be absolutely completely, and totally wrong with the tone you have given to me in this case. Mind you I don’t expect you to let something as simple as being completely wrong. Stop you from having whatever opinion you feel you want. There’s actually one of you more endearing and hilarious qualities.

And I haven’t once used words like stupid describe your beliefs. But as long as you want to start using descriptives such as that because your feelings are hurt, I think it is kind of stupid. It’s just approach random people all day in a desperate attempt to somehow, fulfill, performing fantasies, instead of actually going out and performing. If it’s been done that way forever and all of performing arts. Musicians don’t go learn songs, and then force them on people walking by in the store. You learn your craft from each other and we learn our art from our audience. The very idea that only a small fraction of people don’t enjoy magic is the absurd thing written here. Again your perception, bias and desperation, apparently to be performing clouds your ability to see reality. If the general public enjoyed magic as much as you seem to think it would be far more movies in Hollywood about it, that would be far more shows out here on Broadway that had a magic theme. That would be a lot more shows in Las Vegas that had a magic theme . Magic is a niche performance art in the variety arts.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Sorry but you are absolutely wrong. And you keep using the word desperate to try to label me, and that's fine. Because that's all you have right now. My suggestions are absolutely spot on. And I'm sorry, but If someone of the high caliber of Steve Spill suggested it, I guess he is desperate too. You're making no sense and putting words in my mouth, but that's okay. Because when someone is wrong that's what they do.

And to think the larger majority of the public does not like magic, truly shows where you are at.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Where I’m at is working at a show off Broadway that costs about $200 per person to get in. The show that I actually helped create. I admit it is not the glory of doing magic tricks for clerks at Walmart whenever I get the chance. What could I possibly know about the proper performance of close of magic?

But yeah, everything I have to say stupid and absolutely wrong. Everything you have to say is spot on. Still pretty ironic. You claiming that I always have to be right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Everybody's path is different, some want to become a full-time professional, some choose not to. The way they get there and the opportunities that are put forth in front of them are different as well. Some are more fortunate and are at right place at the right time, some are not. But in order to get there when the opportunities don't fall into your lap is through performing. And you're not going to get paid gigs without first having somewhat of an understanding of people. The only way to do that is to get out there and perform magic for everybody that you can. Couple other Members on here posted the same thing as well in terms of just getting out there to get experience except didn't mention the word clerks which is obviously the word you're fixated on. Just because you per se are participating on a show at Broadway that you helped create doesn't mean that you are right.
Just because you are supposedly a professional doesn't mean that you are better than many semi-professionals out there ( as Jon Allen stated as well).

And yes, I will continue to perform for clerks. Why? Because I love seeing people smile and laugh then telling me," Thank you, you made my day". If one has the ability to make someone day and help make them smile and laugh, why would you not use it?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There we have it. You perform for clerks because you like to see the smiles on their faces. It’s all about you. I’m sure you make their day as they make fun of you once you leave.

Yes, everybody’s path is different and the fact that you believe you are an authority on how to walk a different path is the ridiculous part. You have absolutely no idea what it takes which you prove by claiming right time, right place and opportunities, and all this other nonsense. Anyone who believed that nonsense will never succeed because you leave out the one thing that matters more than any of that and that is just pure hard work. And no part of that hard work is absolutely not going out and performing for anybody. Not fast enough to escape you. This is not how you grow as a performer. This is how you get good at doing exactly that and if the goal is to keep performing on that level, just because you wanna put smiles on peoples faces and whatever you claim is happening, then that’s exactly the perfect way to do it.

Thank you for being such a wonderful example of the 90% of experts I’m talking about earlier in this thread. I believe everyone is put on this earth for a reason, even if just to serve as a bad example.

Oh I don’t know why you have to continuously put up stupid straw man argument. I have never claimed to be better than any semi professional or better than anyone for that matter. Stop making stuff up in your head and assigning it to me. I have said many times that probably the smartest people are those who are part time professionals who don’t have to worry about the money coming in you don’t have to worry about getting bookings in order to eat. Just stop, pretending I have taken a position that I have actually many times in this very forum taking the exact opposite position. It’ Makes you look stupid.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
And others are put on this earth to think they know everything, which you have proven very well here.

But I think you must have a reading comprehension problem, my statement makes it nothing about me, my statement is that God gifted me the ability to help people smile, laugh, and have fun. There's a big difference. And what it sounds like, is the exact opposite, it seems through your posts you are the exact person you are trying to describe me as.

We can agree on one thing, hard work will get you there and what is included in hard work to get there is getting out there to perform for anybody and everybody that you can so you can refine your skills and learn more about people's personalities.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh, I get it. You’re a last word kind of guy. Just can’t help yourself. I understand. I hurt your little feelings. But you seem to be operating under the ridiculously stupid belief that all magicians are equal the only thing that separates a guy working in a stage in Las Vegas from a guy doing magic for store, clerks his luck. So as to not hurt your little feelings, even further, I’ll just say that’s not the case.

Thank you for helping me show Pedro exactly what I was talking about the experts think they know absolutely everything, even though they have never done it before. You have literally no idea what it would take to become a full-time performing magician. You have never done it before you have no frame of reference in order to try even to understand. Yet perfectly willing to tell everybody how stupid someone who is done the exact same. You pull out some quotes from some books if you think that is all the knowledge you need.

Here is a newsflash for you. There is more than one way to be able to do this. The only absolute fact is one of us is working from the standpoint of opinions he has read, and the other from a standpoint of a life he is living. So you can be as adamant as you want About your opinion, and it is truly nothing more than that an opinion backed up by nothing.

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about with 90% of the Internet experts. He’s here espousing how to do some thing he has never himself done. And then being indignant, when being told something different by someone who has done on a rather high level this. it is crazy to watch.

So if you apply this to not using cards as an opener, or if carts are a no go or whatever this is exactly the point, I was trying to make it’s usually somebody like this who’s putting themselves out there as an expert who has zero experience and what they’re being an expert at. but after all, this is the Internet wireless something like not have any experience be a barrier to entry to be an expert. It’s an absolute perfect illustration of what I was talking about.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Again, you are proving to be the exact person you are describing me as. And it is very apparent.

My position still stands, go out and perform for whoever and whenever you can. That is all I'm saying and that is all I have been saying. And if you think that is wrong, I disagree with you. You have not hurt my feelings in any way. Really. You've opened up a big discussion which has brought out different things of your character. It is very apparent in your posts.

Go ahead, you absolutely can have the last word.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And now, I suppose you are an expert in clinical psychology as well. I mean, why shouldn’t you be? You are an expert in absolutely everything. But do you have experience in it or not or whether you have done it or not or whether you just found out about the subject two seconds ago, it doesn’t matter you are the absolute authority in everything.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pedrovincent
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Pedrovincent
Danny and RNK, I am so sorry that my post initiated such a heated debate between you!

I don't have nearly as much insight into performing magic as any of you, but I do understand from what as been shared here that approaches to performance and rehearsing may differ and that one may choose to be guided by different sets of principles. Hopefully it doesn't have to be black or white.

I do have a circle of friends and acquaintances that I know are very positive to my magic and with whom I feel comfortable taking the initiative of showing stuff. However, I do try follow a personal rule that I must be asked to do perform magic first (I think it's one of Roberto Giobbi's earliest advices in the Card College volumes, and it kind of stuck with me). Usually I end up performing in a very organic way, for instance, in conversational settings where the topic of conversation becomes hobbies, what we did throughout the day, future ambitions and so forth. If I feel for it, I mention my interest for magic and, more often than not, I'll be asked if I can show them something. Often I'll just be presented as the one who does magic, if the other person shows interest for it, it becomes an opportunity to perform something either at the spot or on a later occasion.

A little update on what I've done since I made my post here at forum (just to let you know that I've been taking notes!): I've been polishing my three sets of three rountines for walkaround magic (I've abandoned the restaurant idea), and have been working on a set for stand-up card magic. For now it is mostly card routines with different types of effects (locating multiples cards, color changes, divinations), with the exception of 2-3 mentalist routines that I feel at home with. I've spent a lot of time writing scripts for each set, so that they stand for different themes and the transition from one to another routine is experienced as a build-up with the climax at the end. These sets are based on routines that I am comfortable performing, so I'll just need some more practice to give them a good flow, script considered. When I've had the chance to perform my sets for different audiences and I feel that the time is ripe, I'll get working on a website and business card so that I can promote myself more actively.

Also, I have decided to purchase sponge balls and cups and balls, just as something to practice and turn back to for the fun of it whenever I feel like trying something different. From what I have seen and read, the basic sleights of sponge balls don't seem that advanced, so I think it should be possible to learn a simple routine in a couple of months. Cups and balls, on the other hand, seems to have a much steeper learning curve!

Finally, I just want to emphasise that I truly appreciate the time that you all are putting into helping me! Even the discussion above lead to some very valuable advices.

All the best,
Pedro
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
Welcome Perdo. One thing to remember is the main rule when performing magic is make your presentation great so that your audience laughs and has fun, it's all about them! (Of course the routine should be polished and flawless which is common sense)

If you are doing that you will be doing your job.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3526 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
If you like to perform magic while you are out among the public do. If you don't want to don't. There is no right or wrong answer.

Jeff McBride has had a fair amount of success as a magician. He says he does a thumb-tip trick when tipping in hotels.

I work at family restaurants and birthday parties. I visited my dermatologist today and the doctor recognized me and asked if I could show some of the staff a trick. I always have a deck of cards in my pocket so I showed them Pop Haydn's Chicago Surprise. It got a great reaction and I'll probably see some of those faces at my restaurant gig.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge