The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: IBM Pittsburg--How to Have the Best Convention Experience? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
AndrewG_VT
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of AndrewG_VT
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm headed to Pittsbug in a few days for my first magic convention. I'm very excited, but not exactly sure what to expect, so I thought I'd ask for thoughts from the forum. Here are a few questions for you experienced convention goers.

1. What are your tips for having the best convention experience?
2. What convention faux pas's have you witnessed? (i.e., beginners, don't do these things!)
3. What's the general vibe of the convention? Are peopleasual and relaxed or are they dressed to the nine's and locked in?
4. Who else is going? What are you looking forward to? Why?
5. Anyone from the New England / Montreal / Southern Quebec area going? It would be great to meet some "locals." I'm buying!

Hopefully, this sparks some interesting conversation. Thanks in advance for any and all responses,
Andrew
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
My guess it it will not be as you expect. Most are very informal and casual, many older guys there, depending on the convention you may spend or be tempted to spend more than you expect in the dealer's room, and offers from guest lecturers. The vibe is typically divided by two camps - those there to inquire, learn and meet a few others with similar interests, and those there to teach, sell, and rule supreme. As a newbie you may be more exuberant that many other's than have gone regularly. The other division of two camps is the workers and actual performers, and the hobbyists and amateurs that have yet to try to perform or only perform for friends and family.

For some it's an annual event just to see old once-a-year friends and to see if anything new is around, for others its just to be around others with similar interests. A few younger hot shots will want to perform for anyone they feel they can impress. You will meet and talk to however many you feel comfortable with. Most talk is about tricks and methods. A lot of card guys trying to impress each other is always a part of it too. Especially in the bar after hours.

Many feel the highlight is not the convention but the dinners, bar hangouts, and breakfasts during it or after hours. A guest lecturer or two will likely inspire you and get you excited.

The main takeaway is what you experience, not necessarily the collective experience. Once you leave you will see what I mean, that is was still good and a positive, fun experience, but not what you were likely expecting. It will have your desires and creative juices stirred up and you will probably walk away with some new ideas.

Please come back here and let us know your thoughts, how it went, and a review. Best of luck!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Oh yeah, and you will also see and meet some of your hero's that will create memories and an impression that may still with you a lifetime.

You may be a bit hesitant or apprehensive about going up to and approaching them whether it be to talk, to ask for a photo, autograph, etc. My advice is do not talk yourself out of it. You will regret it later. Make yourself do it as you will be so glad you did.
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Veteran user
Pensacola, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
So, did you have a good time?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I guess the OP isn't participating in his own thread. This is such a shame as members have taken the time and and made the effort to try to assist him.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4861 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
I guess the OP isn't participating in his own thread. This is such a shame as members have taken the time and and made the effort to try to assist him.

How about we give the guy a break. Convention ended on the 15th. Not everyone lives on the Café 24/7
Where the magic begins
AndrewG_VT
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of AndrewG_VT
Thanks for the cover Dave,

Yes! I had an great time. I am a bit behind on my post-convention work. I made a number of committments to follow-up with folks that I met there and I'm still working through all of it. Also, I live in Montepelier VT, and I came back to a completely flooded out town, so things have been a bit hairy here.

The short version is that all of your advice was spot on, in particular the encouragement not to be shy. I connected with so many amazing magicians and learned so much magic and so much about how to construct an act. I was completely blown away by how much knowledge was freely shared. I was also stunned by how kind and open everyone was. It's an amazing community of pros and learners

I'm working on a longer post detailing all the for other beginners who might have this question in the future. Give me a week. I'll post it here.