The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Indiana Jones. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This wasn’t pulled off well at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2023, Wizard of Oz wrote:
The movie was an action packed, fast-paced, well-produced adventure romp perfect for summer viewing. I saw it in one of the deluxe theaters with plush loungers and food and drink service. The fact that I didn't fall asleep in those surroundings (and I have a few times before) says something.

All that said, viewed under the lens of the films as a collection, I put this at number 4. It didn't quite jump the shark by showing extraterrestrials, but came awfully darn close by knocking at the door of pure science fiction. I prefer my Indy served with more earthly subtlety, a sprinkle of the occult here, a dab of mysticism there.

The producers of "Crystal Skull" mentioned that the film was set in the 50's. Most newsworthy items in the 50's was Communists and Flying Saucers, so that's where they went with the story. I didn't hate it. Some of the dialog was clunkly. "Their treasure was knowledge. Knowledge was their treasure." "Why don't you stick around, Junior?" "I don't know, why didn't you, Dad?" Having seen Indy slide a rubber raft down a mountainside, and STILL have it hold together enough to float them down a river, ("Temple of Doom") "nuking the fridge" really didn't upset me that much. Where I DID draw the line was "Shiloh of the Apes," where Mutt (and, I get it, Indy named himself after his dog. But, "Indiana" is a cool name, "Mutt" is just stupid) climbed into the treeline of the forest and, SOMEHOW, inspired a tribe of chimpanzees to follow him and attack the Russians. (And, I want to point out, ONLY the Russians!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'll add, I was going to watch "Dial of Destiny" on Disney+ over the weekend, only to find that it won't be available until December 1st!

So, I chose to watch "The Incredibles 2" instead. I didn't know who the villain was going to turn out to be until the reveal, but I could SMELL the betrayal coming a mile away!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
-Z-
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of -Z-
I'll just stick to the classics
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2023, -Z- wrote:
I'll just stick to the classics

This film will never qualify.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Finally saw this and I thought it was better than Crystal Skull but not half as good as the second or third ones, and not an eighth as good as the first one.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Nothing is goinng to be "as good" as the trilogy. That said, this was a decent film. I wondered where they were going to go, I wondered what Indy's final destiny would be. (No spoilers, not even at this date.) And, I thought it was very well worked out. I'm sorry it didn't make enough to be a hit. (Oddly enough, "Crystal Skull" is NOT the lowest grossing Indy film, "Temple of Doom" seems to be, with this running just above it.)

But all and all, I still liked it.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I usually end up liking the movies that critics and Facebook comments tell me not to so I was hoping the same for this but I really just wasn't feeling it.
Rather remember how he was in the first three. Better to burn out than to fade away and all that.
I mean it could have been worse but it was just... sad. Sad and unnecessary.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2024, critter wrote:
I usually end up liking the movies that critics and Facebook comments tell me not to so I was hoping the same for this but I really just wasn't feeling it.
Rather remember how he was in the first three. Better to burn out than to fade away and all that.
I mean it could have been worse but it was just... sad. Sad and unnecessary.

Perfect summation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I DO agree that the ending of "Last Crusade" would have been the perfect ending to the entire series. Indy reunited with his father, heading off into the sunset. But I still didn't hate this film. Indy, burned out and retiring, finds the energy for one last adventure (although, I DO wonder how they got him off the murder charge) and the estrangement from Marion seemed more tragic than in "Crystal Skull," where he seems to just ditch her at the altar. The last scene was wonderful and heart wrenching.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You seem to be reach for what you wish the movie was instead of what it actually is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
No, I'm reaching for what I see in the film. We see the legal papers of divorce, later Indy has a scene with "Wombat" where he states what HE would do with a Time Machine that breaks your heart. I still enjoyed the film.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16552 Posts

Profile of tommy
They say the character was originally named Indiana Smith, after an Alaskan Malamute called Indiana that Lucas owned in the 1970s and on which he based the Star Wars character Chewbacca.

They do seem to have the same smile.

https://images.immediate.co.uk/productio......750,1834
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2024, tommy wrote:
They say the character was originally named Indiana Smith, after an Alaskan Malamute called Indiana that Lucas owned in the 1970s and on which he based the Star Wars character Chewbacca.

They do seem to have the same smile.

https://images.immediate.co.uk/productio......750,1834

Then they decided "Indiana Smith" was too close to "Nevada Smith," an actual western character.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
I finally had free time last weekend and realized I hadn't seen "Dial of Destiny." I enjoyed it. Not as much as the first three, but much better than crystal skull. Overall it was good...lots of action, engaging storyline, and dying Nazis.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2023, critter wrote:
I haven't seen it. I'm a huge fan of Indiana Jones but I just don't go out to movies that much anymore.
With as big a family as I'm toting around it has to be a big enough deal to either pay for everyone or pay a babysitter and I pretty much only do that for Batman movies.

Watched it on Disney +. The last thing I saw in theaters was the new "Ghostbusters" movie, and that was just me and the one kid.