The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Derren Brown- Unbelievable (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
User101
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of User101
Not a description of his act lol but his upcoming new tour-which doesn't feature him!
https://unbelievablelive.com/about/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPZUQCJLjM

From recent interviews,he is directing a bunch of actors and musicians who have have been trained in doing magic. "This eliminates any egos and typical magic performing."
Im at a loss to see why this will be entertaining but has Derren ever bombed?
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
A big name producing a show not involving them is quite common, franz harary does that, criss
did it last year which didn't go great.

As for if Derren has ever bombed, almost definitely.
User101
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of User101
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2023, Fedora wrote:
A big name producing a show not involving them is quite common, franz harary does that, criss
did it last year which didn't go great.

As for if Derren has ever bombed, almost definitely.

It's not the producing it that concerns me.

When did he bomb?
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
What does concern you?

based on the description, it seems like it might be okey,
not much info besides that he's not in it.

I've never seen him bomb, but I doubt there is a full time performer
alive that hasn't had a bad day.

Hopefully this doesn't end up another amystika.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Everyone has a bad day it is that simple.

BUT I will say this about Derren Brown. I am personally not a fan of mentalism. Quite the opposite as a matter of fact. Derren was doing “Secret” on Broadway here and the opportunity came up to go see him when my sister was here to see our show. I reluctantly went. I will not review it but will sum it up as it was one of the best entertainment experiences of my life. No joke or hyperbole on my part, but it was fantastic. Part of that may have been expecting so little and being turned around and that contributed to me being so moved.

The man knows how to entertain this much is certain.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
User101
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of User101
Quote:
What does concern you?

Non magicians being taught how to do magic. I don't understand the reason.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2023, User101 wrote:
Quote:
What does concern you?

Are you a professional magician? Who do you think most magic shops cater to?

If you are not a working professional magician should you have access to secrets?

I am sure the reason is that egos are not involved plus it can be more if not all of his own vision. He can direct actors whereas many magicians will have opinions on how exactly to do things. Working with actors who are trained to take direction is WAY easier than working with magicians who know everything in the first place.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3044 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2023, User101 wrote:
Quote:
What does concern you?

Okay, I'm confused here. Are you saying that only magicians are supposed to be taught magic? That would imply that you're born either a wizard or a muggle.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
George I have noticed people seem to want to close the door once they themselves are in the room.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Dozens of amusement park magic shows are performed by non magician actors.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
EternalNameless
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of EternalNameless
If it's similar to something like Derek DelGaudios "In and of Itself" it will be fantastic. He is right about magician's Egos/false self which is very non-duality, Advaita Vedanta thing very popular now with the science of "No Self' becoming more popular. Nothing is real...psychedelics, mindfulness meditation,and the end of stupid magic tricks. Paul Harris was right in Art of Astonishment books he says magic tricks are just a way of remembering your Real Face, pure witness, Awareness itself. All that mysticism stuff from Sadhguru, Byron Katie, Eckhart Tolle, Sri Nisergadatta Maharaj, Ramana Maharshi, Osho, Sam Harris, etc. Nothing like seeing a an egotistical "magician" getting reminded by Nate Standiforth, etc in his book "Here Lies Magic" being alive is magic enough, the miracle of awareness awaring herenow
Mr Mysterio
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Mr Mysterio
I'm intrigued by the premise of this show. I suspect there will be twists, turns And surprises galore. Derren never disappoints. I can't wait.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
The show is in “out-of-town tryouts.” This is when the creators find out what’s working and what’s not. They tweak the show after every performance, rewriting, re-ordering, adding, eliminating.

Many are the Broadway musicals that were panned out of town and with work and revision landed on Broadway as smash hits.

Patience with the creators, please. They have a record of successes that few can match.
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
A show where non-magicians go up and do magic tricks. What a great idea and certainly not something that cheapens magic at all.

Never fails to amaze me how some people will sell out magic at the drop of a hat. And as long as they are big names people will applaud like trained seals.
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2023, EternalNameless wrote:
If it's similar to something like Derek DelGaudios "In and of Itself" it will be fantastic. He is right about magician's Egos/false self which is very non-duality, Advaita Vedanta thing very popular now with the science of "No Self' becoming more popular. Nothing is real...psychedelics, mindfulness meditation,and the end of stupid magic tricks. Paul Harris was right in Art of Astonishment books he says magic tricks are just a way of remembering your Real Face, pure witness, Awareness itself. All that mysticism stuff from Sadhguru, Byron Katie, Eckhart Tolle, Sri Nisergadatta Maharaj, Ramana Maharshi, Osho, Sam Harris, etc. Nothing like seeing a an egotistical "magician" getting reminded by Nate Standiforth, etc in his book "Here Lies Magic" being alive is magic enough, the miracle of awareness awaring herenow

What a load of mumbo-jumbo twaddle.