The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Moonwalking With Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Has anyone here read this book? Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
358 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
I have. It’s a fantastic book.
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2023, rrubin98 wrote:
I have. It’s a fantastic book.

I agree. The book is more about the author's journey from journalist to memory champion and the people and systems he meets and learns about along his journey. It is not a "how-to" book on improving your memory.

It gives a history of techniques and explains what the "Memory Palace" is with a short exercise to show you how easy it is.

Reading the reviews on Amazon will give you more than enough information as to what the book is about.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1745 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The Memory Palace technique is only easy if you are a good visualiser. This may be normal, but as I have mild aphantasia ('hypophantasia') and struggle with imagery I wouldn't know. I can just about manage with Peg and Link systems, but probably not as much as I used to able to do (I once memorised 300 tax cases for an exam).

https://aphantasia.com/
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18089 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks everyone. I ordered the book for my son. I think he has a good memory and this may make it even better. We watched THE MENTALIST together and he talked about the Memory Palace.. Mikey seemed intrigued.... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Sh9bum9
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Sh9bum9
Hi Slim King.
The BBC Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch had an episode involving Memory Palace
Decisions determine destiny. Thomas S. Monson
Elputty
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
114 Posts

Profile of Elputty
Remember It by Nelson Dellis is a great contemporary introduction to many mnemonic techniques. Moonwalking is a great inspiration, but doesn’t have a ton of specific details.
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
358 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
I agree that while Moonwalking with Einstein is an excellent book, it's not the first book I'd recommend for memory technique instruction. Instead, I'd suggest starting with one of Dominic O'Brien's books, such as How to Develop a Brilliant Memory Week by Week: 50 Proven Ways to Enhance Your Memory Skills. Dominic is an 8-time World Memory Champion, and his books are great.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
It's a great book.