The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Good, "inexpensive" integrated wireless mic system? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'm looking for a new wireless mic system to replace my cheap, old, beloved and long lived Hisonic hs-210.

It has served me well for the past 10+ years (!) I can't believe it has lasted over a decade, but It's beginning to accept far too much static and interference in ways that it just can't compensate for, and the battery is beginning to lose its charge too quickly as well.

The battery I could replace, the integrated circuits failing, not so much...

Any ideas on an relatively inexpensive, reliable "all in one" wireless transmitter system?

I still have an old Fender "amp can" I can use as a PA...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I've used the Samson Airline Micro for years.
Pros:
Extremely small
No belt pack
Rechargeable; no need to buy new batteries
Very user-friendly
Cons:
Only one channel
You can't change the batteries
The tips of the antennas will unscrew themselves and get lost
[If you are close to the receiver, you don't have to pull out the antennas]
Wind screen is very small. (Doesn't fare well in the wind)
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Thanks for the tip, RiffRaff.

Happy 666th post!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Hey RiffRaff,

Some reviews mention that the earpiece is difficult to get used to and that it pushes the ear forward.

Do you find this to be the case?
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
The earpiece in the first set that I had broke, and they replaced it.
The rubber on the earpiece began to deteriorate after several years of use (continuous exposure to the Florida sun and salt water).
Regarding comfort, I never had a problem; but everybody's face is different.
Perhaps there's a retailer nearby where you can try one on?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
There are a number of great battery-powered amps to come out recently. I've been eyeing the Electro-Voice Everse, if my Crate Limo amp fries. I doubt the Everse comes with a wireless receiver, but I've already found a solution to that. I use a Fifine UHF headset. It is completely battery-powered and the receiver is small and plugs directly into a 1/4" jack - no cords or external power.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Thanks for the tip about the fifine headset, Alan. I'll look into that one!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I ended up getting the Samson Airline Micro after all.

It was a little more than I was intending to spend, but after trying out a few "cheap" ones ($50-$100)... it turns out, you really DO get what you pay for with sound equipment.

I'm loving the Samson, so far.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I have one Samson airline micro earset system for sale, pm for info, if interested