The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Knee Replacement surgery! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4710 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hi peeps! My wife had a Knee replacement surgery almost 2 weeks ago now, and was told that the pain would be terrible during the first two weeks. Her first followup appt. is scheduled in 1 week. However, the pain has not really subsided (it was worse for the first two days, but still pretty bad, despite tylenol, opioids, cold packs and compression wrap.
I was wondering how long the pai. And recovery took for those that had the surgery, and how you managed the pain. Thanks to all who might be able to shed some insight!!
Special sale! FREE magician T shirt (a $25 value, only L or XL - see link) while supplies last with each purchase of MIGRATE ($35 ppd USA) Magnetic Coins ($40 ppd USA) or Conviction Prediction ($45 ppd
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbIwPoZ8qy4?si=eqxR6X6XGynLf3ET
inquire for ordering information here or to rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Knee replacements suck. There is no way around the fact that cutting off bone and replacing it with metal is gonna hurt like hell. My mom, uncle and good friend had them done and their experiences all vary. That being said initial, sometimes severe pain lasting several weeks is not uncommon. My mom had a good three weeks of pain and was a bit beat down before finally turning a corner. My Uncle had a similar experience but my friend recovered quicker. Age, health, medical history, surgeon quality, and injury type, all make a difference in people's experience.

Bottom line, what you are experiencing to me seems fairly typical for knee replacements in my limited experience/sample size. YMMV

I hope she feels healthier soon.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I've had three ACL replacements and two total knee replacements.

For my first total knee replacement I was told that I would be in the hospital for two to three days. I had the surgery on Tuesday morning and went home Wednesday morning.

For my second total knee replacement I was told that I would be in the hospital for one day. I had the surgery Tuesday morning and went home Tuesday afternoon.

Each time I was given a prescription for Norco for the pain. I recall taking it a few times (principally at bedtime, so that I could sleep), but, honestly, the pain wasn't that bad. I started physical therapy immediately, which helped considerably. (My therapist's favorite phrase is, "Motion is lotion.")

It's been 7½ years since my first knee replacement (on my 57th birthday) and 4½ years since the second. These days, my dog and I go running about 3 miles a day, five days a week: steep uphill, then steep downhill. My knees hurt occasionally, but not often and not a lot.

I wish your wife a speedy recovery.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4710 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Thanks guys, my wife is doing a bit better today.
Special sale! FREE magician T shirt (a $25 value, only L or XL - see link) while supplies last with each purchase of MIGRATE ($35 ppd USA) Magnetic Coins ($40 ppd USA) or Conviction Prediction ($45 ppd
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbIwPoZ8qy4?si=eqxR6X6XGynLf3ET
inquire for ordering information here or to rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1571 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Depending on which state you live in, as far as legality goes, many people have had great success managing pain with medical marijuana. It works wonders in some people. Forget the whole stigma of smoking it to get high. There are other ways to ingest it to reap the benefits without getting “high”. I have used tinctures (drops under the tongue) and gummies to great effect myself for pain management. Just something else for you to consider. I know this thread is a little old but I hope the wife is doing great now Smile