The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: 1970s Magic Of The Month Club (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
My apologies if this is not the right forum for this...does anyone remember a monthly subscription whereby you'd get a trick a month? The theming IIRC reminds me of the George Schindler books of the same era.
When I was involved would have been 1975-1977 timeframe. I didn't have many. The ones I remember were a mentalism plastic necklace with a weak bead; a TT labeled "The Magician's Secret"; a coin box with spikes (I think)...is this ringing any bells with anyone?
It was an interesting time for magic awareness in the public.
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Reiss?
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Well the name Reiss doesn't ring a bell at all, but after a Google search returned me right back to this forum, this post: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0 yes, that's it exactly. In looking at the list I also had Psychic Stamps, Vanishing Milk, and that might be where I got the Magic With Cards book. In that thread they even mention the monthly "Young Magician's Club".
Thank you!
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Yes those effects were also sold in many retail shops as well back then. I had quite a few as a kid starting out.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Interestingly when I was doing magic as a teenager I had already progressed beyond those of the toy nature (except the TT...I unfortunately never made good use of it that I recall). Like, I would never use the coin pierce or stamps in a kids birthday party routine. But I was so eat up with anything magic and we had so little access to anything in our town that I thought I had to have all that stuff.