The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Best source for the 4 coin roll down? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Hi.

What is the best source for the 4 coin roll down? Book or dvd?

Thanks,
Daniel
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Either works. It is in Bobo's - probably the easiest way to find it.

I also have a teaching of how to do one version in the foundations section of http://www.coinvanish.com.
Click to visit:
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
I first read it in Bobo's but not until I went to Dan's site did I actually learn it. It's second nature to me now. Thanks Dan,
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
The best explanation of the roll down I have seen is on Dan's website - he has very useful pictures there. It also is in Bobo's or you could try

http://members.iweb.net.au/~kith/jugglin......in_f.htm

which is the largest coin manipulation (just manipulation/florishes, no magic) on the web that I know of.

On the subject of 4 coin roll down: can anyone roll the outmost coin with the fingernail of the pinky? I can do the roll down with the coin just below the nail, but I don't like the look of the coins being so far down my fingers, and it makes getting to Downs star a real pain... any suggestions?
Wrenn
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Wrenn
You can do it right at the fingertips so that the coin between the pinkie and ring fingers is rolled out with the back of the nail but as you probably have seen its a lot harder. Just takes even more practice. Wider coins help slightly and tilting the hand slightly so the coin is resting on the pinkie rather then held between the two fingers (i.e. turn the hand so its palm down and the pinkie is at the bottom of the coin then roll it out by rotating the hand up). This means your balancing the coin on the nail of the pinkie rather than trying to hold it sideways between the nail and other finger and makes it easier.

Personally I don't really do it that way though. While it seems nicer to have it right out at the edges the extra effort doesn't seem worth it, and no one Ive shown it too are more impressed than the normal version further down the fingers.

As for the original question, I am the author of the site Sirakor linked above. Im in the process of rewriting it and adding many more flourishes and videos/images for most of the tricks and have rewritten the roll down section quite a bit. Im not putting up the new site until its finished though but if there is any interest I can post the writeup for the Roll Down I currently have.
Hardi
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
96 Posts

Profile of Hardi
A good source for the Roll Down of 4 coins is "the Buckley trilogy - PRINCIPLES and DECEPTIONS" (1948) by Arthur Buckley page 66.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
It might also be worth adding that there are many different ways of doing a 4 coin roll down; everyone seems to have their own preferred method. Do look at all the sources available to you and then choose the version that suits your hand and your liking best.

e.g. the version I use does not employ any grip changes at all, I separate the stack into two 2 coin stacks between fingers 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 without using the thumb or 4th finger (after initially separating the stack with the thumb by about 1mm), and finish from there. The finish is the same for all versions, but there are many ways how to end up with two 2 coin stacks ready to roll out.
Hardi
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
96 Posts

Profile of Hardi
There are different versions of the Roll Down. Besides Buckley I found this source again:
Danny Korem describes a version where the Roll Down starts with pairs of two, and unfolds to four. He provides 11 clear photos which explain everything. Find the explanation in "Korem Without Limits" (1985) by Danny Korem, page 73.
Might be the book is hard to find now. But I think it is a valuable source.