The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Stacks that easily convert to New Deck Order (or similar dramatic finish)? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Do any of the well-known stacks have a built-in effect whereby they can easily be converted to New Deck Order? (Or maybe some other dramatic display?)
My definition of "easy" means not relying on the dreaded Faro shuffle, or other advanced sleights. (A bit of Culling is fine though).

I guess Stebbins might fit the above, but I am thinking about stacks which are much better disguised - Aronson, Tamariz, Redford etc.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Tamariz's Mnemonica certainly has.

And it's all explained in his book

Mark
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks Mark,
I have a copy of Mnemonica which I bought years ago, but found utterly overwhelming at the time.
chosen1
View Profile
Regular user
lots of places
124 Posts

Profile of chosen1
The Redford Stack can jump to all kinds of arrangements!
We should all be in a constant state of wonder
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Redford easily converts back into a suited order without faro shuffles. I hope this helps.
gordo
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of gordo
I've used Michael Skinner's memorized deck set-up for many years.

You can find it in his Classic Sampler book.

After doing what we do with the memorized deck...three faro's to bring back to New Deck Order.

Cheers,
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1561 Posts

Profile of Cain
I was also influenced by Skinner and used his five-faro stack for a few years. Just take a brand new deck, and give it five (out) faros. I'd then cut the 10C to the face (I think the 9D was on top) to disguise the symmetery. I eventually abandoned this stack for a four-faro stay-stack. This is one where you swap the Diamonds and Spades, and then give the pack four faros. While this is four faros from NDO (rather than three), it's still perfectly fine. It also has the benefit of allowing the Marlo Matching Routine as a closer. One can also get into this stack faster than five-faro, Tamariz, Redford, or even Si Stebbins. It's the memorized stack Darwin Ortiz uses. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best stack. Skinner had some of the forward-thinking on memorized stacks (and stacks in general) yet he's strangely overlooked.

I had said for years that Taamriz undermines his stack with the reversals and the partial faros. Even he seems to agree as he transitioned away from it for a stack that's easier to obtain from NDO. Many people err in the direction of trying to make their stack not look like a stack, as if spectators will sit back and ponder the open spread. Experience demonstrates that you should not mess too much with the underlying pattern. Lennart Green's "stack" was just a deck in A-K order.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thank you for your suggestions.
Unfortunately I can't do a Faro shuffle. Maybe it's a skill I should start working on.

Cain, I'm confused - are you saying Tamariz has moved away from using Mnemonica???
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1561 Posts

Profile of Cain
Niko,

You should definitely work on learning the faro, especially if you want an order-from-chaos effect.

In Magic from the Heart, Tamariz tips the "Exhibition Deck." If I recall correctly, he says he uses it more often than Mnemonica. It's been years since I've seen it, however.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1561 Posts

Profile of Cain
If you're not familiar with it already, I just remembered that Adrian Guerra has an act where a borrowed shuffled deck is converted to new deck order without any faros. He uses Mnemonica, but it can be done with the previously mentioned four-faro stay-stack. He undoubtedly has to go through the bit of business of dealing out and reversing certain cards in order to convert Mnemonica into a four-faro stay-stack.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-magic/euphoria/

jared23m
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of jared23m
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2023, Patrick Redford wrote:
Redford easily converts back into a suited order without faro shuffles. I hope this helps.

George, I just watched the Order Out of Chaos demo for the first time any oh my goodness. How have I not seen it until now? The amount of thought and discipline that went into to designing something so flawless looking is probably something most magicians will never have. Fantastic.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
The stack I use converts easily to ordered. If you're interested in an all in order ending type routines, this clip might be of interest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExfpBppkkho
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Melephin
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Melephin
On the "Classic Green Collection" DVD Set Lennart Green gives away his stack that looks shuffled, if you show it quickly and casually. With only three "One-Two" separations you end up in New Deck Order.