The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Not table hopping (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
A couple of years ago, my wife had a music gig at a restaurant. I occasionally did some magic effects during her break,
or to entertain folks waiting to be seated. I did not perform at tables or "on demand" as her music was magic enough for anyone.

A man approached and said his son was studying magic and had a problem with a rope trick. He wondered if I could help.
I met with this 10 year old wonder and found that his hands were just too small for the required sleight of the effect from his book.
So, I taught him a different method. In ten minute he had it down, eager to perform it for family.

Instead, I announce to all of the dozen near by tables that a young magician wished to share his excitement with them.
He "wowed them" and got a standing ovation.

The point is that a single effect when the audience expects magic may be enough.
A jumble of tricks may never be magic if they do not expect or appreciate the "other than possible" event.

The real magic is that I was there to share in the adventure.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
I'm not sure what the message of that story or the point is, relating to the title of the post. Don't do table hopping? Do fewer effects? Only do effects for more people?
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
The point is that in a table hopping or strolling environment there may be unexpected opportunities for magic.
Everyone there enjoyed the completely impromptu magic effect and helped a beginner along.

I will do that again if the opportunity should arise. I am sure some readers here can see the value in being prepared for the unexpected.

As noted, "I occasionally did some magic effects during her break" - yeah "strolling" and performing at guest's tables.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com