The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic Stage Left :: Righties will just never realise the pain...... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
......that us 'Lefties' have had to endure for decades, particularly for those of us who had (and probably still prefer) to learn via the written word!

I can't even begin to guess how many times that I've read that annoying advice - "if you are left-handed, just transpose left and right in these instructions".

"Just transpose".......REALLY?

CLEARLY an utterly useless pearl of wisdom - no doubt from a 'Righty'. Smile

Now I certainly do not consider myself retarded, as Steve's psychopath of a teacher assumed. In fact, isn't it proven that more intelligent, creative types are generally left-handed? As an aside, having also read palms for many years, Left-handed people certainly appear to substantiate this claim.

I'm certainly not averse to learning via books - that's how I've learnt tricks for decades. However, what 'Righties' clearly never take on board is that when you are embroiled learning a somewhat lengthy routine and/or technical move, it is oh so easy to FORGET to transpose hands - often at an important stage midway through. How many times have we stopped and had to think, e.g. - "hang on.....my right third fingertip should be where"???

Creative and intelligent we may indeed be - but we are still human and therefore not faultless.

However, if you think that we have problems learning from books, spare a thought for the master - Harry Lorayne. Although left-handed himself, he had to WRITE the bloody things from a Right-handed perspective - no doubt in order to keep 'the commoners' happy. I can't think of the exact plots off the top of my head but I think on just two occasions, I've read Harry's work where he has stated that he'd have to describe something using a Left-handed handling, in order to make the instruction(s) clearer to explain, for his subsequent written words. The guy was an absolute GENIUS - no magic author has (nor will) EVER come close in my honest opinion.

Anyway, great to have this section open on the Café. I'm not sure what the benefits are longer term - but it gave me a chance to have a daily rant.....and for that alone, I'm eternally (and Left-handedly) grateful! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.