The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Back to Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
64 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
It's been many years since I practiced and performed magic seriously, letting it drift after a decade or so dedicated to the craft. I've never lost my passion for magic, but I haven't kept my hand in it and have long felt that it was, in a sense, "the one that got away" in my creative pursuits.

My girlfriend recently took up a monthly gig that welcomes performing artists of all stripes and skill levels to take up a small stage at our local bar and perform any act they please. The organizer of the event, with whom we're both friends, has said they'd love to feature an illusionist act in the show, and it feels like a low-pressure opportunity to get back to my lifelong love of magic.

Though I have a decent foundation from my years performing, I'm also well out of practice and coming to this opportunity with a beginner's mind. While I've started with brushing up on old favorites, I'm also looking to discover new material, put together a strong routine, practice it to absolute perfection, floor the room, and go from there. The performance will likely be <10 minutes, on a small corner stage before a dozen or so active spectators.

Which brings me to you! Since it's a monthly show, I'm giving myself 2-3 months to prepare and bring it, even if the stakes are low. With that in mind, I would relish in any and all ideas and recommendations you may have for routines, tricks, gimmicks, books, videos, etc. that could serve the act.

Of all the forums, I think the table hopping and party strolling scene most closely aligns with the kind of stuff I'm hoping to deliver, so let me know if you have any thoughts, recos, or words of encouragement. Smile

<3
- Dan Skahen
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
First off be realistic. Flooring the room on your first night out is unlikely. Don’t set an unrealistic standard and force yourself to live up to it. This is a horrible way to live and will ultimately drive you further away.

While we learn our craft from each other, we learn our art from our audience. Learn from them.

What do you already have that you are planning on using?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
As Danny mentioned it would be helpful to know what you're planning on brushing off to do, and any insight to your performing style. Do you have a character? Going out there as goofy old uncle? Or Harry Anderson fast talking type con man persona? Hoping to do comedy? Serious mentalism?

A bit more background would help others generate ideas.

With that said, what an awesome opportunity to get back into magic. Low stakes, friendly organizer...great opportunity to get old stuff up to speed and then start to experiment with new stuff.

From what I read in your post, sounds more like parlor type magic rather than illusion. I'd recommend anything from Pop Haydn. His routines could easily be adapted to whatever presentation style you have. Check out his site at: https://www.popsmagic.com/

Or get his Penguin Lecture.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
If you can palm the full Hundy 500, you can produce the 1s via flash paper.

Perform Hundy.

Slydini paper balls over head for first spectator.

Comedic slush powder routine.

Pick another spectator and go into Invisible deck with all the jokes with the deck of cards somewhere visible (but not noticed until you point it out. )
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
If you have performing chops, I can recommend effects that are technically easy to do and easy to learn while being great tricks. What kind of style magician are you? Is your character like David Blaine, David Williamson, David Berglass, David Jonathan, David Regal, or David Stone?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have been involved with something similar in the past. Here is how I would approach the situation.
Fist time around I would take two things that I did well and that where visaul and needed no table. Mine would be a single rope routine (fiber optics) and my Egg bag routine. I would also have some rubber bands to do close up with if asked.

I did a run of open mic a while ago to run out new material and I would sandwich that new effect in between my rope and chop cup routine so at least I knew I started and finish strong.

Most of these types of nigth here in new Zealand attract muscians. They normally have some set up. So if you can just get up perform no table and down the host will love you.

A few places as well as doing my spot I have been asked to fill 5mins.

Anyhow hope this helps
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2023, RobertApodaca wrote:

Perform Hundy.

Pick another spectator and go into Invisible deck with all the jokes with the deck of cards somewhere visible (but not noticed until you point it out. )

With all due respect this just will not floor the room.

And while easy in principal the Paper Balls routine in an advanced deal.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3561 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Brush up with those old favorites. Better to use things you can reestablish in your mind and hands instead of looking for new.
Which brings the question of what are those old favorites? Perhaps you can get suggestions based from those things towards helping?
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2023, DanielSkahen wrote:
It's been many years since I practiced and performed magic seriously, letting it drift after a decade or so dedicated to the craft. I've never lost my passion for magic, but I haven't kept my hand in it and have long felt that it was, in a sense, "the one that got away" in my creative pursuits.

My girlfriend recently took up a monthly gig that welcomes performing artists of all stripes and skill levels to take up a small stage at our local bar and perform any act they please. The organizer of the event, with whom we're both friends, has said they'd love to feature an illusionist act in the show, and it feels like a low-pressure opportunity to get back to my lifelong love of magic.

Though I have a decent foundation from my years performing, I'm also well out of practice and coming to this opportunity with a beginner's mind. While I've started with brushing up on old favorites, I'm also looking to discover new material, put together a strong routine, practice it to absolute perfection, floor the room, and go from there. The performance will likely be <10 minutes, on a small corner stage before a dozen or so active spectators.

Which brings me to you! Since it's a monthly show, I'm giving myself 2-3 months to prepare and bring it, even if the stakes are low. With that in mind, I would relish in any and all ideas and recommendations you may have for routines, tricks, gimmicks, books, videos, etc. that could serve the act.

Of all the forums, I think the table hopping and party strolling scene most closely aligns with the kind of stuff I'm hoping to deliver, so let me know if you have any thoughts, recos, or words of encouragement. Smile

<3

Daniel - how did it go, or how is the practicing going?
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

Perform Hundy.

Slayed enough to place 1st place at Uni talent show.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7620 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2023, RobertApodaca wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perform Hundy.

Congratulations! I bet it was a great feeling when it was announced you got first place.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2023, RobertApodaca wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perform Hundy.

Congratulations.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus