The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Blizzard - Dean Dill (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1783 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/18043

I see this old fave is back in town...

I don't have it, but I have a couple of questions.

I think we all know how this works? Still, I'll try to be discreet.

Surely this is an opener, otherwise you will lead your audience to the correct method. So...

How do you bring the cooler in at the same time as the first deck?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
2012 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
It's in your pocket, and you bring the cards as well as the tuck case at the same time, it's a bit different from the cooler, much simpler actually Smile

I like the handling a lot because the "bold" move is done while they check or mix the cards so it's well covered.
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
At about 50 seconds:

Now if you'll put 'em back the way they were. Perfect, just lay 'em on the table.

The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4326 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2022, Kaliix wrote:
At about 50 seconds:

Now if you'll put 'em back the way they were. Perfect, just lay 'em on the table.

On the new instructional tutorial, Erik Tait does the sw...h at a different moment and in a different manner. Plus, there are several other nifty effects using the sturdy, specially molded gimmick taught on the tutorial by other magicians like Magick Balay.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
797 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
The gimmick really reminds me of Christian Engblom's Cooler. But it comes ready to go for red bikes.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Huh, never seen Dean Dill perform it before. That is not how I learned to do it; going south to the pocket is not required to ring in the blizzard.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
797 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
In the download Erik Tait makes mention of a PDF containing Dean's original writeup of the effect. If you bought from Penguin it wasn't available until the last day or two, but if you go back to the download section the PDF is now there.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2022, Ross W wrote:

Surely this is an opener, otherwise you will lead your audience to the correct method. So...

How do you bring the cooler in at the same time as the first deck?

I think Ross's question is about what happens before you even apparently start the effect.

As a hobbyist, I would leave the cards and case on my coffee table; then wait for an opportunity to offer to show some magic to a friend. i.e. I do the set up in advance.

But what if you are a stage magician walking onto a stage? Or a table-hopping performer, in a restaurant?
Usually you would take a cased deck out of your pocket, open the case, remove the cards and start a trick.
What would you do in this situation?

As Ross implied, if you understand the method, you should recognise this potential problem.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Having thought about this a bit more, it seems to me it would not work best as an opener (as suggested by Ross).

I would start by opening a normal deck and doing a few effects.
At some point I think it should be pretty easy to switch in the required gimmick, since there is no attention on it.
It could then sit there for some time, so plenty of time misdirection after the switch.
Then perform Blizzard with the deck that has been in play all along.
Maybe close after that?
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
How to open with Blizzard. Put the regular deck on top of the Blizzard gimmick in your pocket. Pull out cards/box stack with the cards covered by your palm. Place the pile in your opposite hand as you mime taking the cards out of the box. Do something with the cards as you set the box down and proceed. Simple.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks Kalix
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
My question is whether the gimmick is more robust on this newer version? I've read comments about the gimmick not holding up with the previous version.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I performed this over Christmas, though I must admit that I changed the ending. While I like the blank card ending, I end up having more fun with the ending being a one-way deck. I refer to the cards in that deck as my favorite card and base the patter off of that being my favorite card rather than the deck being blank. I always thought having a deck full of my favorite cards made more sense than them just being blank.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
496 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Magic Mark,

I don't have the new edition, but the descriptions I have seen point out that the gimmick is sturdier than the original and made with a stronger material.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
@All - Blizzard is not an opener. Please re-read the instructions. At some point you put the cardcase in your pocket. At some later moment you bring it out again.

@Kaliix - are you doing the Ken Brooke Potty Prediction the hard way? Smile If you're okay doing a little extra work - maybe Hofzinser's everywhere and nowhere would be a better place for that climax. (Think of it as an extension of wild card Smile )
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JimSalabim
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of JimSalabim
Hi! I don’t have Blizzard yet, so I don’t know how the gimmick actually works exactly. BUT: Since obviously you need an unobserved moment anyway to put the real deck in your pocket, couldn’t I just use a normal Bicycle blank face deck and just cut out the bottom of the case so that I just have to lift it up in order to get the blank cards out of the case? And for the three blank cards that are put on the table together with the spectator’s card I could also use normal blank face cards and mark them with pencil dots on the back so that I know instantly which one the spectator’s card is?
That would cost me 2 minutes of effort to make, and the blank face deck is under 10 bucks. ;-)
Or is the Blizzard gimmick that different and a huge advantage?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2023, JimSalabim wrote:
... BUT: Since obviously you need an unobserved moment anyway to ...
Ask someone at your local magic club to perform the trick. It's better than you imagine.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I don't see why this has to be an opener.. I think really at anytime you could ring in the 'thing' you need. Even doing a few other tricks and then putting it on the table.. no mention.. or we will need this in a moment to show you something really cool. Whole doing something else attention is else where so I don't think most will give it a second thought.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Paul24243
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Paul24243
Totally forgot about this gem. Magic Mark, you can make the gimmick yourself if the original does not hold up but I don't see why it shouldn't there is no need to bang it about.